WinXP SP3 RC1

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Perman, Dec 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks:

Friend just mailed me a CD copy of the said material.

Is it safe to install now OR

to wait for the final version.

Thanks.

2. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,
    To quickly edit my previous post.

On majorgeeks, there is a d/l for WinXP sp3 .

3. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Being a Release Candidate, it should be fairly safe. Better test it on a non-production machine or VM.

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Just installed it in a stock standard xp home sp2 installation. It definitely seems a bit buggy for me. First thing i noticed is IE6 still remains, IE7 is not even available via windows update. On the windows update website for some reason it lists the malicious removal tool for may as well as december as being high priority. And to top it all off my sound card and modem drivers will not install anymore. I'm gonna try it on a different system using a standard xp home sp1 install now.

5. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Please let us know your conclusions. Even if RC1 is pretty 'clean', I'm wondering if you install SP3 RFM (when it becomes available) over RC1, or what?

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Having troubles to extract System 32\smss file.......access denied.

7. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

at the moment I can live without SP3,reading trough the release notes,i am not impressed,its not worth the hassle,seeing no clear benefits to upgrade as my current machines running like speedwagons....never change a winning team !

8. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

It includes a supposedly better Kernel (that is hardened and better optimised), that is the main thing that interests me.
    I think apart from a few tweaks to configuration options and collecting up all the patches since the last service pack there is not a huge amount different (like with SP2) and if you keep your machine up to date with patches there is little NEED to upgrade.

I will wait until its been out a few months before testing it on our virtual enviroment at work.

9. Arup

Arup Guest

Runs good, my XP was patched with latest autopatcher. When I downloaded the SP3 from MG, it didn't say RC1 there, just regular SP. Next day morning I see it being shown as RC1. Either way, the system now runs far quicker and smoother, memory management is better. Programs open quicker and everything works including IE7, Opera, OO etc.

10. farmerlee

Just did a stock standard install of xp home with sp1 on my test system. Sp3 rc1 installed just fine however i was in the process of installing my updated raid driver and upon reboot for some reason windows now tells me the hardware has changed significantly and i need to re-activate? I've never seen that before. Definitely take pre-cautions if you are going to test this out.

11. farmerlee

I'll be installing the next release on a clean sp1 or sp2 system. I see no point keeping my rc1 setup as its not working to well for me at the moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.