WinXP SP2 Security Center & Other "Antivirus Monitor" software

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Alec, Jun 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alec

Alec Registered Member

I'm new here and I did a quick search about this topic but did not immediately find anything on point... so I apologize if this has been rehashed previously. Anyway, I have been reading that Windows XP Service Pack 2 will have a "Security Center" control panel applet that will provide various new functionality. One of the items mentioned was an Antivirus Monitor. Apparently, it queries for certain WMI information and reports if your AV software is up-to-date and whatnot. I have also noticed essentially the same AV Monitoring functionality in the new ZoneAlarm 5.0 code.

Is this new functionality dependent upon a new API that the AV providers must specifically support? Or is this more of a matter of Microsoft/ZoneLabs simply "deeming" you monitor-worthy? As a regestered user of NOD32 can I expect that my software will be compatible with such features, or will NOD32 sort of be "under the radar" and only the big name AV players will see support?

I am asking really more out of curiousity rather than any desperate need. I don't expect either XP SP2 or ZA5 to make or break my AV updating or purchasing patterns, but still I sort of like all of my software to play nice with each other. Moreover, I just didn't know if this mildly useful AV monitoring feature was really more of just a means to get AV providers to pony up to be an "authorized provider" and/or if it was just one more means of not-so-subtle, self-reinforcing promotion for the big name AV providers.

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

If you ask me all this is just extra crap. Currently i don't have any monitoring app and i know everything works fine. Is it so hard to make 3 clicks to check if AV is working or if firewall is set up correctly (ShieldsUP! test).

3. sig

sig Registered Member

My understanding is that when released SP 2's Security Center will recognize NOD if it is installed. After all, MS's Product Release Services uses NOD. As far as I know MS isn't "authorizing" AV products via their inclusion in the Security Center's detection of installed AV programs.

It's purpose I think is to reinforce the idea that MS itaking security matters more seriously by having the security center to assist/nag users to be aware of the value of such security programs, rather than trying to direct business to a specified set of vendors. For some people this feature may help since evidently some, if they even have an AV installed, still don't know or think that using an AV or updating it is important. Others no doubt will either ignore it or just deactivate it.

As for ZA 5.0...well, version 5 apparently had conflicts with McAfee's Security Center and reportedly for many it disabled NAV's email scanning function. Apparently NOD users haven't reported any such problems with ZA 5 so perhaps not being recognized by ZA's AV monitor was a good thing. ;) Seriously, reportedly ZL will eventually add more AV's to be recognized by i's AV monitor also.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2004
  4. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Btw avast! was already recognized by SP2 and i'm pretty sure NOD32 is also. Or will be added very soon.

5. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Been beta'ing the SPs, feature is useless IMO.

The functionality just checks to be sure you have an AV app installed, there isn't a proactive component with respect to checking for definitions. Some AV's aren't recognized yet so it displays an icon in the systray indicating you need to install an AV app.

It's a feature for people that are fairly new to computers and don't understand security. The warning can be disabled if your AV app isn't recognized.

ZA does have issues with McAfee 8.0.

6. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Actually the WSC doesn't recognize the AV, the AV must register itself with the WSC. So if Nod32 is not recognized it means that Eset guys have a homework (or they deliberately ignore WSC but that wouldn't probably be a good idea -- I can imagine extra burden for their support dpt). :)

7. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

One of the Eset guys, I think it was Marcos, has already stated in an earlier thread on this that NOD32 will be recognized in SP2. I think anyone testing SP2 when we get the NOD32 beta will see recognition.

8. pepito

pepito Registered Member

Have just finished installing the latest Release Candidate of XP Service Pack 2 (downloaded from the Microsoft site) and NOD32 is not recognised by WSC.

Or the other way around ;)

9. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

This has been fixed in the latest beta, which is supposed to be given out in 1-2 weeks at last :-]

Attached Files:

• xp2.JPG
      xp2.JPG
      File size:
      46.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2004
  10. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Do you have the NOD32 beta? It is that beta I meant. If you have it then XP SP2 Security Center should recognize it. At least that is my understanding. I have the NOD32 beta but I am not testing XP SP2 so I can't tell you if it is recognized.

11. MCT

MCT Registered Member

new beta :D i like 2 test things :p

do u know wat will be new/improved in it?

regards

12. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

Does that mean anyone can get it?

13. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Please check our website for information about the beta on a regular basis. As I had written above, we plan to give it out within 1-2 weeks.

14. gorgale

gorgale Registered Member

It could be nice to ntegrate both application s with OPSWAT Antivirus Integration SDK ( antivirussdk.com )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.