WINXP PRO - apps & paths:

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SG1, Sep 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Had WINXP PRO for two weeks now (after moving from WIN98 SE), and am therefore not by any means a whiz bang with the newer OS, so perhaps someone can help me with this?

I find that some - not all - apps have circuitous route to what I think was WINDOWS APPLICATION DATA under 98 SE - but w/XP PRO I find some apps to hell and gone in this C|Documents and Settings\Pat\Application Data area. As a result, I've had some trouble with
    apps that "can't create such and such file" following that long roundabout path to where PRO seems to place some files and/or Directories(?) Well, why with some apps, but not all? I did a usual install process, w/software, so I can't figure this out yet.

As I say, for instance, when I click something in Spybot to look at a report or process, I get the message that it can't create that file or... etc. It seems to my untrained eye, that because some apps seem to get shunted way over yonder under PRO, it is jamming things up. Is it just me, or is this how XP PRO does things? And why with just some apps? And, can I somehow remedy this so as to let Spybot or other apps function in normal manner?

Thanks, for any advice on this.
    SG1 (Pat)
    ======================

Attached Files:

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    Did you format and clean installed xp or did you just install over 98?
    I have made numerous upgrades from win98 and 2000 to xp and have always been very pleasantly surprised in terms of speed and stability.
    If you only made a dirty installation over an existing os, I suggest you delete the partition, create a new one, format it, then install xp from scratch. And make sure you install a legal xp, it will also save you troubles... :)
    Mrk

3. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Mrkvonic;

This was a brand new shiny 80GB HD, with OS loaded by our repair guy; so, I don't think I rashly altered paths or what have you, re apps (as I have tried to be cautious while learning about a new OS).

BUT... 98SE is on a second drive (D), in two instances, but both are under renamed DIRs and I hope this has nothing to do with that. But I personally can't judge just how far apart the two OSes are - does XP PRO smell out its little brother, 98 SE, & go for the throat, as it were? ;-)

SG1 (Pat)

4. Mrkvonic

Hi,
    What do you mean renamed dirs?
    Mrk

5. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

I mean... renamed Directories: WIN98 SE resides in 2 directories, on the D drive. Had brought many apps over from D drive, to install (in normal fashion) on new C drive which has XP PRO.

Of two trips to repair shop with PC in August, we tried to do "refresh" type of install of 98 to its orig. DIR but it could not be done for some reason so the original WIN directory was renamed & new WIN98 was put into DIR with name like WIN0000. That led to some messes, as you may guess; other troubles came about, and so it went back to shop again.
    ===================================
    Not sure, still, just how "connected" things may be... like, can I or dare I delete those two DIRs on D, and if I do... will it have any bearing on things over on the C drive? Or, are the two drives, more or less separate?

SG1 (Pat)

6. Mrkvonic

Hi,
    Looks to me like a very big mess.
    If you have some spare time and you want things to work smoothly, back your personal data and create clean partitions, format them, then install the windowses separately. From my experience, moving files connected with os and reinstallations usually do not work.
    My suggestion, burn your data to dvds or cds, then restart with xp in the drive, make sure you boot from cd, delete exisitng partitions, create two new partitions, install xp on one, then after you boot into windows and patch everything, install win98 on the other. Then, restore your data and install all your favorite programs.
    This should work and hopefully you will have no mess...
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.