Winword.exe wants to install drivers.

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Dakhor, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dakhor

Dakhor Registered Member

When I want to print on a printer that is on another computer in a LAN, PG tells me winword.exe wants to install a driver. Now it works even if I dont allow it and frankly im a bit scared of word installing drivers on my computer.

Anybody know anything about this?

/DaK/

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

I have indeed seen this before with at least one USB-Ethernet Printer Server device.

As far as I could tell, it was harmless, but yes - PG would throw up a "<application you are trying to print from>.exe tried to install a driver/service" alert for - yup - any application that someone tried to print from. This even included things like Firefox.

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. rickontheweb

rickontheweb Registered Member

I see the same thing with almost every application that I use to print to my networked laserprinter, not just Word. I do not allow anything to install drivers unless it really needs to and I see broken functionality. So far I haven't encountered any problems or instabilities by simply not allowing and ignoring the driver installation requests for networked printer purposes from any application.

I think it's safer to restrict programs like Word (and FireFox) and simply ignore the processguard alerts, especially if there seems to be no consequences and the print job works anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.