Winupdate Trojan?? HELP

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by pyro, Jan 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyro

pyro Registered Member

Hi gurus

My Norton Antivirus 2003 detected a trojan file. The pop up is so annoying, i click Okay and it keeps poping up. It doesnt stop. It doesnt tell me the trojan name but the partial link (Damn it, Norton) e.g.

C:\Documents and Settings\User.....\windupdate07243636[1].exe

I googled and found nothing.... Where is this file ato_O
    Another problem is the windows update tool that will install automatically recomended updates. I started downloading (actually, the first process is copying) Service pack 2 but changed my mind and never finished the download. And the icon reminds me to finish the download. I dont know if this is a breach for trojans to sneak thru...How do i once and for all get rid of this stalling download? o_O o_O

I am going to download trojan hunter. Wish me luck :)

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Pyro, welcome to Wilders.

You could try following the comprehensive steps found in General Cleaning.

If these steps do not resolve your situation, you will need to download and run “Hijack This” found here and post your log at one of the forums found at A-SAP. The two bigger forums for HijackThis log processing, (meaning they process more log threads each day than most others) are: SpywareInfo.com and CastleCops.com. Be sure to read their posting policy in the links at their log review forum sections prior to posting.

The steps mentioned in General Cleaning use software that ought to be part of your security, as an absolute minimum.

Once your system is clean, you may want to take a look here for further discussion on security and how to make your system that much stronger and here for more.

This is what works really well for me, very simple to use and maintain.

Hope this helps...

Let us know how you go.

Cheers :D

3. pyro

pyro Registered Member

Blackspear

I seen this cleaning thread before and did not follow thru exactly. I will run all tools below in safe mode just like it is recomended. Last time i did this, my computer got worst than before and i coulnt roll it back. Can i create a sytem restore point just in case of an emergency? or once i turned off system restore, it will overide all previous restore pointso_O

lol, i am newbie.....thanks

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

You could leave System Restore alone and run through General Cleaning in “Safe Mode”. If anything is found in System Restore you will need to turn it off and rerun a scan.

If you have restored your computer to a precious restore point where your system was clean, I would for the sake of a few hours run through General Cleaning to confirm your system is clean.

Continue with installing Service Pack 2 after your system is clean, if the download is too big for you, you can always pick up a free copy from your local Computer Shop or call Microsoft and they will send it out to you.

Once you are clean let’s look at keeping your system that way with some good software, if you want, let me know and I’ll walk you through it…

Hope this helps….

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.