WinPE 3.0 wont recognize external drive

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by johnpd, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnpd

johnpd Registered Member

I recently installed B&R 10 Home. I previously had Drive Backup 10 Pro. When I booted with the WinPE 3.0 CD, it would not recognize my external hard drive (Western Digital MyBook 3.0). When I use the WinPE 2.1 CD I that I had created from my previous DB10 Pro version, it was able to recognize the drive. Although the WD MyBook 3.0 is a USB 3.0 drive, it can be recognized in a USB 2.0 port which is what I was using. Support for USB 3.0 is still lacking which I understand and can live with, but not recognizing the drive under USB 2.0 is not good. It means I cannot use the new WinPE version.

Edit: The Linux Boot CD also recognizes it under USB 2.0.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

In my case, booting B&R 10 Suite latest version (11844) from an USB stick, it recognizes an external USB 3 disk (1 TB Seagate disk in a Vantec USB 3 enclosure), as "Basic Hard Disk 1 (Unknown Model)". The external disk operates as USB 2.

Other programs identify correctly the disk model, although the operating parameters (SMART, etc.) are not transmitted.

3. Paragon_MattK

Paragon_MattK Paragon Moderator

You can try loading the driver for your USB 3.0 port from the add drivers feature from the WinPE 3.0 CD. Although it is rare, since the kernel in the WinPE disks are different, so is the driver store, and therefor it is possible for some devices not to work properly with the newer (or older) version.

Loading the correct device driver should allow you to use the USB 3.0 drive with the new WinPE, also that WinPE disk is completely compatible with all new versions of Paragon, so I suggest simply using the old disk if possible.

4. johnpd

johnpd Registered Member

I tried loading the drivers for the external drive, but they do not resolve the issue. I had the same issue with WinPE 2.1 as far as recognizing USB 3.0, but at least WinPE 2.1 was able to see the drive as USB 2.0. Can Drive Backup 10 Pro recognize the backup images created by B&R 10 Home?

5. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Yes, Drive Backup 10 will recognize backups made with B&R Home correctly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.