WinPatrol question!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ratchet, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Relative to security, as opposed to its tools, e.g. the startup manager, what, if any advantages using it if you have any of the following: Online Armor ++, Comodo Firewall and Defense+ or Mamutu plus a good firewall? Thank You!

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

security wise ther is no advantage really, winpatrol isnt gunna really protect u, i use it to monitor and has nice tools.

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it does protects gaints new services been created and dlls,activx and very soon registry lockdown feature,it does give some lite protection:thumb:

4. firzen771

its blocking ability isnt really that great and its uaully pretty slow to give u an alert compared to a regular HIPS, i wuldnt really on it to prevent infections... i just think of it as a useful utility belt.

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

this is true that a clasical hips is way faster/stronger but i tested it the other day it blocks/stop some malware in real time ofcourse the plus version here;)
    it is very informative tool and it can also remove nasty stuff on reboot not as strong as the file assasin but it is a nice tool still:D

6. falkor

falkor Registered Member

It offers nothing when compared to the above mentioned programs . WinPatrol is only useful if you do not use an antivirus program and / or firewall . People that take security seriously will not use WinPatrol because it is redundant when running with antivirus or firewalls .

7. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I am running it with an antivirus and it is very handy, I like to check and see whats running and whats trying to run at startup.

8. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

winpatrol is a pretty neat app. offering quite a bit and is not redundant by any stretch of imagination...

Attached Files:

9. firzen771

that doesnt make any sense, no firewall or antivirus that ive ever used has the same tools that winpatrol has... i dont think anybody here REALLY uses winpatrol to be the primary protection for their system, thats not its purpose...

10. falkor

falkor Registered Member

It makes no sense as you are not looking at it from a security point of view . Handy app ? It can be . For security purposes , the OP needs not use this . It gives no protection above what he mentioned . If you want an app to tell you what is running and what it is and can turn startup items off and anything else from an auto start to a manual start to turning a service off , there is a great free program for this . Bottom line : looking at this application from a security standpoint , it is a waste for the OP to add this .

And Firzen . Read the opening post please . The question starts as " RELATIVE TO SECURITY " . My answer is based on that .

11. firzen771

actually i was replying to this part of ur statement
    and i replied as i did because winpatrol isnt even in the same category as a firewall or antivirus, u wuldnt compare avast to look n stop firewall wen it comes to protection cuz they look at diff things, AND if u read my 1st post i said winpatrol isnt good for protecting ur computer... so it doesnt seem like uve payed attention.

12. falkor

falkor Registered Member

You are too funny . Pick a fight ? help yourself . I stand by what I posted . My reply was to the open poster's question . Plain and simple . In all honesty , most in this thread are off topic Technically . Read the OP's post . Try to answer his question . From what I can see , I am the only one that did as asked . Everyone else is getting off on what was NOT asked for in the beginning . Please continue your off topic crap . I answered the original question . I was helpful . You were not

13. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

Falkor this statement is redundant as well ....for WP is meant to be used in conjunction with av/firewalls...

:cautious: :cautious: :cautious:

14. firzen771

lol sorry all mighty master, ill never question ur thoughts on a forum ever again... ill bow down now mr. high and mighty? :D

15. falkor

falkor Registered Member

Kasperking .
    For the last time , the OP asked RELATIVE TO SECURITY ! You can run WP with the above mentioned but , it will not add any more security than the OP already has with the applications mentioned . It is not redundant . :cool:

16. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

The biggest advantage is that will never cause a bsod, since it does not use any low level drivers. ;)

Panagiotis

17. firzen771

everyone has several times already agreed and said that... people can now discuss, that is what a forum is used for, the question has been answered and discussion will naturally occur.

18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

for all of yo that say that winpatrol is weak i just tested it with a rootkit call sdra64.exe and winpatrol detected and block it in real time,plus member here;)

19. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

:thumb:
    :thumbd:

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it was fun to see the doggy barking like crazy:D but after couple of reboot and delete it did the job very well;)

21. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Yes, relative to security, I'd classify WinPatrol as another layer. One that goes woof woof, apparently. :)

22. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

man this dog is amazing indeed,very impressed today with it and yes another layer if you know how to use;)

23. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

and wait when billp add the registry locking protection it will be like a pitbull:D

24. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

I never build a computer without it. Love that Pup!

25. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i tested yestarday and also today and it is amazing:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.