WinPatrol Oddities?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Carbonyl, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Registered Member

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but my searches haven't turned up what might be considered the 'best' area to ask this question. My apologies if I shouldn't be asking it here!

I've been using WinPatrol for several months, and have been more or less happy with it. Lately, though, I've noticed a few very peculiar things when it comes to WinPatrol. Usually Scotty is quiet as a mouse, but in the last week I've seen WinPatrol pop up to warn me about files that have been sitting around on my computer for months.

First, it warned me that UserInit.exe was added as a startup item - It warned me about this out of nowhere. I wasn't installing software, browsing the web, or anything even remotely like that. It claimed that UserInit.exe was "first seen" on that day, even though the "last modified" date was months prior and I'm sure I've seen UserInit.exe run every single time I've started my computer up.

Then, this evening WinPatrol barked at NPSWF32_flashutil.exe, saying that NPSWF32_flashutil.exe was added as a "Single Run" item in the startup section. The only thing is, I haven't even futzed with Flash for weeks! I usually do a manual install of NPSWF32.dll in Opera anyway, and the only copy of NPSWF32.dll_flashutil.exe I could find was in my SysWOW64 directory under a Macromed subdirectory, which is months old. Why would Scotty bark about that now?

I did a full scan with NOD32, MBAM, HitMan Pro 3.5, SpyBot S&D, and Windows Defender. None of these tools found a single thing even remotely suspicious. I'm running Windows 7 x64, and I use Opera as a browser in Sandboxie.

Is this normal behavior for Winpatrol? Will Winpatrol often "see" files weeks or months after their first appearance, and then randomly and without reason alert you to it while the system is idle? Or should I consider this to be a sign of something much more worrisome and insidious going on behind the scenes that the scanners are missing?

Thanks!

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Carbonyl, I moved your thread to this forum to gain more exposure.

3. guest

guest Guest

I have experienced the same delay with the paid version, are you using win x64? are you using the free or paid version?

4. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Registered Member

Glad to know I'm not the only one! I was beginning to wonder if something sinister were happening...

I'm also using Win 7 x64, using the paid version of WinPatrol Plus.

5. guest

guest Guest

I had the same problem and that's why I'm no using it anymore, I wonder if the 32 bit users also have it.

6. squid13

squid13 Registered Member

I guess I'm lucky. I've been using WinPatrol since 2003 and never had a problem with it. It's on my Windows 7 64 bit machine now and has been working great, nothing out of the ordinary from it.

7. BillPStudios

BillPStudios Security Expert

Any chance you've recently tried some kind of registry cleaner? Most of the time I've had this experience is when an over aggresssive registry cleaner has removed information that has been stored which indicated you've approved these files in the past.

Just a thought.

Thanks!
    Bill

8. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Same here.
    Working well on Windows 7 64 bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.