WinPatrol 2013 v26.0.2013.0 Released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by hayc59, Dec 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

WinPatrol 2013 v26.0.2013.0 Released
    Date: December 10th, 2012

No question about it, Bill Pytylovany has done it again! Officially released is WinPatrol 2013, version 26.0.2013, which Bill has enhanced for Windows 8. It works with either Windows 8 or Windows 8 Professional. However, there (currently at least) is not an App for Windows RT so it will not work on Windows RT.
    Although additional features specific to Windows 8 will be added to WinPatrol in the future, for people using Windows 8 who want to go directly to the desktop, you can use WinPatrol to easily make that happen. With File Explorer (explorer.exe) as a Start up Program will cause Windows 8 to switch to the desktop mode. To add explorer.exe (or other programs) to Start up is easy with WinPatrol:

Adding Programs to Start Up
    • Right-click Scotty in the system tray and click "Display Startup Info..." Accept the UAC prompt.
    • At the bottom of the Start up Programs tab, click the Add button
    • Navigate to the location of the program to be added, locate and highlight the .exe file and click Open (explorer.exe is located in the C:\Windows directory).

What's New?
    • Since before the release of Windows 8 I’ve had more emails than you might think asking if WinPatrol was compatible with Windows 8. Like most existing programs, WinPatrol isn’t available for Windows 8 RT but it has been running smoothly since early preview versions of Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro. There has been some confusion about security related programs so many WinPatrol early adopters have written to be sure we’re compatible.
    • WinPatrol has never worked like a traditional security application so it has been running fine on Windows 8 machines. I’ve heard from folks with brand new computers saying Scotty has been very helpful removing unnecessary pre-installed crapware. Computer companies are paid to include software that runs on Startup. In many cases they are not full versions and often cause problems when they expire. These programs will appear in WinPatrol’s list of Startup Programs where PLUS members can verify their purpose. Once these programs are removed by WinPatrol your new computer will certainly start quicker and often run noticeably faster.
    • Naturally, we have tweaked a few things to make sure WinPatrol continues to work its best. Many changes are minor but required due to new Windows 8 conventions. One example is how cookies are stored by Internet Explorer 10. While Microsoft doesn’t support or encourage 3rd party cookie managers, WinPatrol has been successful in helping remove unwanted tracking files.The cookie folder used to contain a file index.dat which Microsoft renamed to be container.dat. This broke cookie handling but like other minor changes a little tweak and we’re back to normal. For security, other internal changes are not being disclosed at this time.
    • WinPatrol 2013 works as you’d expect and with your support I’ll be adding some Windows 8 specific features as they are needed and/or suggested.

More Info l Download: WinPatrol 2013

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  2. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Thanks! :thumb:

3. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

I wonder if it's a worthwhile update for folks like myself who are still running XP Pro (SP3)?

I think I may wait and see where the chips fall. I only use my Plus version on demand in any case.

4. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

I m staying with the previous version. There have been several versions of Scotty with small bugs (specially start up entries) or running a bit heavy CPU-wise. The last one was the best for me and the new one doesn't introduce anything important. You can manually add anything to the startup, just make a shortcut and them move it to Win's startup folder and it will load with Windows.

Of course for Win8 users, it's completely different story.

5. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Ya, I came to the same conclusion as Blues & Fuzz.

I'll wait for a more significant update that affects Windows 7.

But what I'm really waiting for are the "new exciting technologies" Bill referenced in an earlier post.

6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Significant change on Windows 7 for WinPatrol plus: SUBSTANTIAL LESS CPU USAGE :thumb:

I have entered all the (empty) HKCU autostarts mentioned in Sysinternals Autoruun. Set Scotty to monitor (real time) startup entries by adding all the (empty) HKCU autostarts mentioned in Sysinternals Autorun to registry monitoring.

Because Scotty barks but does not bite (a program can lock out Admin permissions after creation of a key, then Scotty will never be able to revert this :D ) , I have to just inform (Scotty is an IDS, not an HIPS). I used Scotty only for registry, with the low CPU usage I also asked it to monitor services in realtime (have limited Acitive-X and Tasks in Group Policy, don't use IE, everything else is controlled through UAC).

Previous version I used took about 8 secs CPU per hour on average, this version only 1.5 secs per hour on average. Previous version was the first version in which registry moniotoring really worked (first two who had registry monitoring had bugs), so I don't recall the exact version number.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  7. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

I assume you had to enter all of these manually - right?

8. Kees1958

YEP, I have send a reg file once to bill containing all Sysinternals autostart entries (in two tastes, HKLM and HKCU). Idea was to add all HKLM to startup protection and HKCU to optional registry protection. Never had a response, so I assume he is not interested in making it easy for his clients.

9. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Honestly, v25.6.2012.1 uses less CPU for me... I m staying with it. But the new one is low too. There is certainly an improvement compared to versions let's say of 6+ months ago.

10. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

That's the version I'm running as well (on XP Pro).

11. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

It's been long since I used WP but that reminded me of this lol
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=293958

12. Kees1958

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.