Winpatrol 15.0.2008 is available

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Victek, Apr 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

New version of Winpatrol. Now there's an ActiveX tab. Didn't see a detailed change log on the site - sorry.

2. 337

337 Registered Member

3. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Yep,
    I keep forgetting about Winpatrol, an excellent adittion to any security setup!;) :)

4. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Been using Winpatrol and wish I came across this sooner. Great little application. Very light-weight too.

A great feature is the delayed applications, where you can set certain applications to load up after a desired amount of time when you start your system up.

With the paid version, what additional options are there in the user interface (any screenshots)? Is the real-time detection light on system resources?

5. Kevin523

Kevin523 Registered Member

I am curious to know more about the paid version of WinPatrol as well. I've read the anti intrusion section on their website as well. Would this be a good alternative to ThreatFire (which conflicts with my system unfortunately).

6. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

You also have to read this :
    Real-time Infiltration Detection (only available in the paid version = $29.95)
    http://www.winpatrol.com/rid.html

I don't think I need Winpatrol with Anti-Executable on board in a frozen system.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  8. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

Does the free version run in the background? Is it worth installing?

9. ErikAlbert

Never tried it myself, I don't need to install softwares to evaluate it, at least not always.
    It it worth installing ? That depends on what your actual security setup does and if you use a normal or frozen system.
    It's a pity that many security softwares are so vague, you often don't know against what you are protected.

10. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

WP is without a doubt worth it. although there are many components to the program, I love the startup module- just about the easiest and best way to be informed about and manage files that try to add themselves to Windows startup, and programs that set themselves sd defaults without your knowledge.

At ~USD30 for life I think it is wonderful (plus the author is a good person).

11. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

Oh nth much, normal system, just recently been set up.

Fully patched Vista, Dr.web, Windows Defender, sandboxed web browser ocasionaly, SpywareBlaster, SAS on-demand, CCleaner, firefox and a causius user :ninja:

Perhaps the doggy would not fit well next to the spider :p

12. Saraceno

Can someone with the paid version take a screenshot of:
    >>any additional features unlocked with the plus version
    >>the 'plus info', when a process is analysed to show how much more information is displayed.

ErikAlbert, you might benefit from flash version, which is at www.winpatrolflash.com

More of a diagnostic tool to help with analzing specific processes or services. Your system seems air-tight, but it might come in handy if you're ever removing toolbars or other startup processes from another's system.

The basic version has some great features such as 'lock file types', to prevent programs from changing your file type associations. Say when you're trying out a new PDF reader or multimedia program which then wants to become the default, these programs are blocked from altering your current settings.

Also has reporting tools such as a 'hijack log' which gives a run-down of your entire system, memory used, programs starting up, hidden files and so on and 'WinPatrol log' so you can see which version you have of every program and process running on your system. It's good stuff. :)

13. ErikAlbert

LOOOL. I'm not going to criticize your security setup, I'm not qualified for this either. :)

14. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yes, the great strength of Winpatrol is the way it brings together many areas of critical information, such as startup items, services, active processes, and BHO's which normally require multiple applications to manage. I use it regularly when cleaning up systems infected with viruses and spyware.

15. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Here's one. :D

Attached Files:

16. Saraceno

Thanks LoneWolf. :thumb: The website says there are 18 000 program descriptions (in the plus version). That's a lot of good reading there. :D

17. ErikAlbert

My recovery SEEMS air-tight, not my security. I will try this software, it's always interesting to see how a normal system looks like. :D

18. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Exactly!! Very good choice of words Eric.

And that's whats bothering me the most, your RECOVERY can be assured air-tight, but security IMO can be equally the same. The security solution is going to have to fall to layers IMO, and discover which fine balance of apps are capable enough to achieve a near 100% rating.

Question is, will this ever become a reality or remain only a myth.

19. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Question is, will this thread circle back to "Winpatrol 15.0.2008 is available" or drift further off topic with the implied\insinuated boot to restore\recovery posts and\or comments.

:ninja: minds want to know

20. PiCo

PiCo Registered Member

I just installed the doggy and performed a Hijack log too :p

This doggy gathers all the information I use to check (services, startup items, BHOs, cookies etc) and, if I understand correctly, monitors them as well for possible changes!

I think it is a must have :thumb:

21. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

We get your drift Bubba :)

So with that being duly understood, WinPatrol is been around since Windows 98 days, and i would venture a guess BillP Studios is hard at it continually adding more security features without sacrificing performance. Seems some security apps of this nature start out with a perfect layout plan and affords it's maker plenty of elbow room to increase safety for customers/users while leaving open even more opportunity to add and improve on it's basic good & useful qualities.

EASTER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.