Winlogon repeats chkdsk without reason

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by darkymac, Apr 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkymac

darkymac Registered Member

Howdy,

Running the latest trial version, as downloaded from the url provided by Konstantin 2 days ago.

System XP Home sp1a, patched to Feb 2004. The machine was taken offline then and put into service as a home workhorse.

I have created a rescue disk, tested it by booting successfully into the True Image utility with full GUI support. I have also run the full backup creation wizard from the True Image installed on my XP system and created an image file that now resides on its own partion, which is one of 2 NTFS partitions on a second internal HDD, separate from the boot HDD. These 2 partitions were created using the XP Disk Management utility.

On booting back into XP, the Winlogon facility has been triggered to run chkdsk at every reboot, even though the reported check yields no faults.

The text of the application console log is:

Event Type: Information

Event Source: Winlogon

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1001

Date: 20/04/2006

Time: 4:24:34 AM

User: N/A

Computer: XXXXXXXXXX

Description:

Checking file system on I:

The type of the file system is NTFS.

Volume label is SysBackup.

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You

may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended

that you continue.

Windows will now check the disk.

Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

9213245 KB total disk space.

6622440 KB in 3 files.

8 KB in 10 indexes.

0 KB in bad sectors.

48861 KB in use by the system.

48128 KB occupied by the log file.

2541936 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.

2303311 total allocation units on disk.

635484 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:

20 00 00 00 18 00 00 00 16 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ...............

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................

40 56 12 00 00 00 00 00 60 81 1b 00 00 00 00 00 @V......`.......

e0 47 0f 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 .G..............

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 20 10 d1 06 00 00 00 00 ........ .......

99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ..6.............

00 a0 33 94 01 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ..3.............

The same routine is called at every reboot and the exact same "internal Info" is reported with "no problems" reported.

I use SpinRite to manage the family's growing library of hdds and this newly partitioned 1yo drive has been given a level 4 clean bill of health by SpinRite only a couple of days ago.

Cables, IDE controllers and general good working order of the internals has been maintained and there is no other fault with any other application or peripheral to suggest hardware problems.

Can the list offer any suggestions about troubleshooting the reason for the repeating chkdsk invocation?

2. darkymac

my apologies for omitting version details:

True Image Home® 9.0 v3,567

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello darkymac,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Actually, we inclined to believe that this issue is not related to Acronis software in any way. In fact, the most probable reasons for the problem you encounter is that there are some errors on your hard drives or some kind of Windows malfunction occurred. However, we recommend you to check each partition of both your hard drives by Windows utility: use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drive. Note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

Please also download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists after checking the hard drives and updating Acronis drivers then please uninstall the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image and see the result.

If the problem is gone then please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post, install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 once more and create Acronis Report and Windows System Information again. Rename the files created to report_before.txt, sysinfo_before.NFO and report_after.txt, sysinfo_after.NFO accordingly. Then submit a request for technical support. Attach the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

If the problem still persist after checking the hard drives and uninstalling the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home then we recommend you to contact Microsoft Support Team on this matter. They will probably help you.

If you anyway believe that this issue is related to Acronis software then please let us know what exactly makes you think so.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  4. WonderWrench

WonderWrench Registered Member

XP can get stuck running chkdsk even when nothing is wrong. Follow the above advice first. If you still have chkdsk running on every boot try the steps below.

chkdsk runs on every boot
    So you reboot your machine and chkdsk runs and finds no errors. In order to clear this problem do this:

1. click on your start menu and open the run dialog.
    2. type "cmd" and return (note: dont enter quotes)
    3. Next type "fsutil dirty query d:" use the drive letter that is effected
    4. If the return message indicates that the volume is dirty go to step 5
    5. Next type "chkdsk d: /f /x"
    6. After that finshes repeat step 3.
    7. If it is no longer dirty then reboot and you should notice no more chkdsk.

And if it is still dirty, run chkdsk with a /r flag( chkdsk<space>driveletter:<space>/r). That runs a longeer 5 step chkdsk process that should clear a dirty flag if the above does not.

5. darkymac

Howdy Wonder Wrench and Admin,

Thanks for the lovely tutorial in chkdsk.
    This forum is an excellent resource and I hope many others find it so.

However, back to the chkdsk instance here.

My first inclination would have been to immediately run the fsutil stuff without even posting here, but I wanted confirmation that it was a simple coincidence with the creation of the disk image.

I am grateful to both of you for your expansive replies and can report that the stray bit of noughts and dings has been cleaned up by chkdsk.

Very pleased with the super-straightforward creation of a disk image and a rescue disk.

Since I was able to browse the complete file structure using the rescue disk version of True Image's explorer, ( very impressed with the True Image disk manager representation of the physical allocation - it looks much better than the ugly XP Disk Management one) I have no hesitation in buying a copy of True Image today without even testing if the restore routine works.
    This is because with the level of support shown to a trial version, I am confident that restoring will be well supported.

thanks,

darkymac

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.