windows7 firewall help needed for flash update installer

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by glenndm, Jul 8, 2015.

1. glenndm

glenndm Registered Member

Hello,

I have a problem setting up the windows 7 firewall for some programs.
    Today is the adobe flash update installer that causes grief.

The firewall is setup to block all unmatched outbound connections.
    The flash installer (filename flashplayer18_ha_install.exe) is primarily a downloader for the full installer.
    When run, it immediately contacts the adobe server or tries to.

Normally, setting a firewall rule with the pathname of the exe would suffice, but that is not possible here.
    It appears the exe runs without being linked to its pathname.
    Sysinternals procexp shows "[Error opening process]" for the pathname

The only way to allow the update, is to turn off the outbound firewall completely (or to allow all)

Any suggestions?

-Anybody know of an autolearn feature for the MS firewall?
    I have used Tinywall in the past, but I do not like how it completely takes over the rules management and even obfuscates the rules.

best regards

2. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

The adobe flash update installer always causes grief.

I use WFC (Windows Firewall Control 4) which makes it easy to deal with Adobe.
    Just before executing the downloader I set WFC to the "Low" profile which allows any outbound but still blocks inbound.
    As soon as Adobe is finished, I set WFC back to "Medium" profile which only allows outbound if there's an Allow rule.

3. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

I suggest some firewall controller, of what you have used TinyWall. MS windows firewall does not have any user friendly interface to its 2-way firewall.

I don't have much difficulties updating Flash with TW. It is because I use Avast AV that has software updater feature. Only thing as far as I can see in TW is C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerPlugin_18_0_0_194.exe that is allowed outgoing connections. Even that is of course a bother since everytime the flash updates, a new rule has to be made because the file name changes.

Without Software updater, I too would do propably the same as jwcca in allowing outgoing connections temporary to update the Flash.

4. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

5. glenndm

Thanks for all your replies. sorry for my late reply, my av program decided to cripple my pc

@jwcca: I also looked at WFC, but I stick with just MS firewall for now. I have a rule "allow all out" that does the same as your "low profile"
    @Jarmo P: Tinywall worked fine, but I didn't like the myriad of obsfucated rules, it created in MSFW.
    It is sad that MSFW lacks decent logging and learning, because it is a solid tool
    @Brummelchen: I indeed prefer an offline method over the online, but adobe has made that more difficult.

best regards

6. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

oh, sorry or that adobe link. although it seems "open" - for decades i need to register als a dev to get access. i'll pm you the direct link.

btw there is nothing difficult with the offline installers. get exe or msi (msi for internal distribution if you are admin). at least on that site you can get the latest extended support release (esr) v13. esr is for nearly a year and after the period it will upgrade. (like firefox esr)

i dont know the windows firewall but with this one it is simple as set and forget for current major, file as written above. maybe port 80 or 443 or both (http/https)

7. glenndm

Thank you for the help

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.