Windows7: A Tale of woes:

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Longboard, Nov 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Cautionary tales:
    I know nothing about this guys credibility other than he is in print at the Oz Fin Review which is regarded as a major news source down here, credible and printed nation wide: gives his name and company under the banner.
    He comes across as a somewhat expert user.
    Must say, my eyes popped a bit reading this today:
    Windows 7 killed off my key apps

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

this review is a joke, i use half the applications he mentioned since before Win7 was even released without problem, nor have i heard of anyone having issues like that before...

3. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

That was an interesting read.

4. Longboard

You could be right:
    I am hoping -in a way- that anyone can effectively discredit that article: note that he is not anti MS; very happy with Vista, just explains how his work environment became unusable under W7.

5. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Sounds like the guy's iphone sync problem is affecting other people also.

Article

6. firzen771

guess its a good thing im not running the P55 chipset then since im having no sync issues.

7. tgell

tgell Registered Member

That's just it. There is such a massive amount of variation in hardware/software combinations, it's a wonder their isn't more problems showing up. If an average person is still able to run all his applications on his current machine and everything is stable, why bother changing the operating system. Just look at the problems Ubuntu users are having with 9.10.

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

IMHO if your present OS is working OK, don't be in a big rush to get WIN7. Let it soak for a few months and wait for all the other folks to find the bugs and for Microsoft to send down fixes and a service pac maybe. Then after the dust settles buy it.

9. Longboard

Firzen makes a good point: the original article does not specify HW parameters or specs.
    Nonetheless some obvious high end apps in there and no complaints re his Vista ( prolly slightly tweaked ) ergo reasonable HW.
    Doubtless there will be numerous patches released -soon- as the micro testers environment translates to macro real world usage.

LOL, the conflict re Mac softwares: tin hats rustling everywhere :D
    Just pays to keep a sanguine approach to rushing in if you didn't test the betas on your current HW and installs.

Applies to Linux too as we all know
    Ya getting a belting as the upgrades roll out.
    Clean installs sounds better.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the stupid thing is that they say microsoft apps work fine but third party apps dont. so why the hell are they complaining about microsoft?
    surely they should moan to the company who make the applications that dont work with 7?

plus they are doing upgrade installs.

it would work alot better if they done clean installs.

windows 7 works very well and its its a SP zero.

11. firzen771

agree with u 100%

12. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

My only issues with Win7 are:

1) A mysterious DGIVecp error in the event viewer as soon as i install Win7. The solution is a registry modification that i now know of and do immediately.

2) WMP 12 skips-bounces for a second always at the same point near the end of the mp3s, causing momentaneous interruption of the playback. I know others have that too. Solution: Use Jet Audio as audio player.

3) I am amongst the group of unlucky users that can't make Ashampoo Burning Studio's GUI appear in x64. I know others have the same issue, while some others managed to make work even old versions like 7.x and 8.x!

13. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

Only problems here on 7 was Windows Picture & Fax viewer had a yellow/sepia haze for all images, it's related to my Samsung LCD and color profiles which i couldn't resolve despite trying the KB articles.

Solution, i used Irfanview as default viewer instead so no problems. Otherwise, everything else works great.

14. firzen771

it seems the only problems win7 has is with certain SPECIFIC hardware configs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.