Windows XP

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Overkill, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Hi guys, I just received an older dell laptop in very good shape and it has XP Pro on it but I'd like to re-install from scratch... do you all know where I can find an iso of XP Pro untouched with SP3? I know it's a security risk, but it won't be online very much.

2. hogndog

hogndog Registered Member

3. Overkill

I have the legal key already, I just need an iso to download. Thanks

4. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

You can install Windows 7 and dress it up with the XP Skinpack. With the 3.68 version of Classic Shell, you can install both the XP start button and set up the XP two column menu.

If you like an oldie and hate the Windows 7 GUI, there you go. Plus you get the latest security and performance updates.

5. Overkill

It will drag with 7, plus it only has a 40gb drive

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  6. NormanF

I'm running a 9 year old dual core PC and Windows 7 on it is responsive and very stable.

7. Overkill

Well, I need to find the lightest security possible if I use 7 unless I just use all windows security. Doesn't 7 take up 20gb roughly?

8. NormanF

Depends on the size of your hard drive. I have a 1 TB hard drive with Windows and guest hosting Linux OSes.

9. Overkill

It came with a measly 40gb drive :mad:

10. NormanF

My advice? Upgrade to the biggest hard drive you can buy. 250 and 500 GB HDs are dirt cheap.

40 GB isn't enough room for ANY modern OS. You don't want to run out of room.

11. Overkill

I think I have a spare 120 gb drive, so I guess i'll install 7. Thanks

12. syrinx

syrinx Registered Member

Yes, 7 can get fairly large unchecked with its poor excuse for update cleanup/cleanmgr!
    However if you don't mind spending some time trimming the bloat [may take a few tries to get it just right] with something like NTLite then you can actually get it to be fairly small though still nowhere near XP sizes. Mine isn't even close to being the smallest possible but it keeps everything I need (little else) and weighs in under 8GB including .NET 3&4 (They are fairly large when the assemblies are created), DirectX, C++, PhysX, VMWare, all my security and other software (that isn't kept in a persistent sandbox via SBIE elsewhere) fully updated.

7B.jpg

The size on the drive isn't really what matters when trying to get the lightest setup possible, it's what is loaded/running though it can still help when you have to fit 4 different installs onto a tiny SSD [like me] and removing components tends to aid in reducing the number of things being loaded. There is however the trouble that comes with removing components of an OS where some piece of software might just 'expect' a certain configuration and fail when you don't have what it needs, then some troubleshooting and refining would likely be required but it's not impossible... I can understand that it's certainly not for everyone and I'm sure someone will come along and say that it's a horrible idea but hey I enjoyed rebuilding my Windows 7 until I could declare it 'Perfect for me'.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  13. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

You can download Windows XP from getintopc. There are some custoimsed versions, but you will also find unmodified XP with SP3 downloads.

14. Overkill

Cool! I'll definitely check it out :thumb:

15. Overkill

Awesome! Thanks

16. rm22

rm22 Registered Member

thanks for the link - I've been using Ubuntu on an old machine, but I can't get the sound working - maybe the hardware is too old :) - so I think I'll go back to XP

17. bcsman

bcsman Registered Member

The computer I'm using right now is a dual boot with XP SP3 and Windows 7 SP1 on it and it's only 40GB. And they are both up to date with all security patches and updates. Mind you I dont have a bunch of download videos and such on there but have an ample amount of programs on both operating systems. As stated if you keep your drives cleaned up getting rid of unnecessary files there is ample room for both operating systems on a 40GB drive. Just my 2 cents worth.

18. rm22

rm22 Registered Member

any suggestions for a lightweight, effective, easy-to-use firewall? I'll likely also put on NVT ERP, the current ZAL/ZAM beta, Sbie... I guess EMET or Secunia PSI are not usable with XP anymore.

19. Overkill

WOW, how much free space do you have now?

20. NormanF

Use Windows Firewall Control. Free AV? Microsoft Security Essentials. Free AEX? ReHIps Free AE? Hauri ViRobot Apt Shield. Free Anti-Ransomware? Hauri ViRobot Anti-Ransonware Free AKL? Zemana Free Anti-Key-Logger.

All of them are free and provide robust product with minimal resource usage.

21. rm22

rm22 Registered Member

WFC is only compatible back to Vista. I've never used XP (Win2000 to Win7) is the built-in firewall adequate in XP? I thought there were issues with it until Win7

EDIT: ok, I assumed you meant Binisoft controler... sphinx-soft still has an XP controler :)

EDIT: Hauri ViRobot Apt Shield.... nice, thanks - was missing an AE option

EDIT: from the reviews i'm reading it looks like the Windows Firewall is good from XP SP2 on

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  22. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

23. rm22

rm22 Registered Member

Thanks - already got one (or 2 :)) the beta is also ZAL+ZAM combined - so even better. I trialed PrivateFirewall years ago - thanks, I'll take a look

24. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Do you still want an xp-sp3 iso and if yes the pro or the home edition? I have the technet/msdn iso's and can upload it for you.

Panagiotis

25. bcsman

bcsman Registered Member

---I have it broken down like this:
    XP SP3 15GB partition--6GB free space
    Win & SP1 25GB partition--10GB free

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.