Windows XP x64 support?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by toor, Jul 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toor

toor Registered Member

Any plans on updating the code to support this? I tried installing the latest one, doesnt work.

2. PlexShaw

PlexShaw Registered Member

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello toor,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

The current version of Acronis True Image doesn't support Windows 64-bit version. The future versions of Acronis True Image will support it.

Please accept our apologies for current inconveniences.

Thank you,
    --
    Oleg Shegay

4. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

That is great news. Do you have any rough idea on the timeframe?

5. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Atomic_Ed

The BootCD will work.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

6. norrisg

norrisg Registered Member

Well, it will work to take a backup, and it will work to restore whole partitions, but it won't work for Secure Zone (which I don't use) and it won't allow you to mount a backup to restore individual files. I don't know about you, but I more frequently want to restore a few files than a whole partition, and the way TI works that's very fiddly unless you can mount a backup.

IMHO far too many vendors of Windows software seem to be trying to ignore 64-bit Windows in the hope it might go away: it won't, but they might! I've switched anti-virus software for this very reason, and when my various 32-bit boxes anti-virus comes up for renewal in a few months, they'll be switched too.

Graham.

7. Acronis Support

Hello Atomic_Ed,

We hope the new version will be released by the end of this year. However, it is very difficult to be sure in any date frames because we are currently developing the new version and then we will need to test it. Depending on the results of the test the release of the new versions may be earlier or later.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. Atomic_Ed

Great thanks for the response on this. I am excited to switch over to Acronis from Ghost as my testing with your trial versions impressed my socks off over Ghost! I will look forward to the release of your x64 version and will purchase it when it comes out for sure. I do have another question, if I were to purchase TI 8.0 now to use with my other systems, will I be eligible for an upgrade price to the new x64 version when it gets released? If so I will go ahead and support Acronis by purchasing 8.0 now. Thanks again for your response.

9. Acronis Support

Hello Atomic_Ed,

Every customer who owns Acronis True Image is allowed to purchase future versions of Acronis True Image for lower (upgrade) price. The same is for other Acronis products (for example, if you have Acronis Partition Expert 2003 you can purchase upgrade to Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0). The upgrades are available at our on-line store.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

10. norrisg

norrisg Registered Member

I know it is well short of full functionality, but if it were just possible to install the part of True Image which allows backups to mounted, it would be helpful as an interim step. Whether that's possible or not depends on whether it needs a 64-bit driver.

11. Acronis Support

Hello norrisg,

I'm afraid that you can not install any parts of Acronis True Image 8.0 program separately. Therefore you have to wait for the new full version to be released.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

12. Atomic_Ed

Thanks for the info. I just purchased the TI 8 Enterprise Server today for our Business and I will purchase TI 8 now for my home use and just upgrade it when your x64 version comes out. Thanks again for such a terrific product!

13. donald

donald Registered Member

What is the best way to gain access to files contained in a backup of a hard disk created by Acronis True Image 8, if one is now running Windows XP x64, on the machine that needs the files. The backup is on a USB 2 drive which could be plugged into any Windows XP machine.

I take it from above that it might be difficult.

Is the only way to run Acronis True Image from a computer using a 32 bit implementation of Windows XP, to open or mount the image. Then could the image be accessed over a network? If not that, then one could save the files to a folder and access that folder over a network?

-----------------------

If one or both of the above are possible, how should one set the permissions in Windows XP to allow access over the network? I ask as it might be different from setting them normally and either Windows XP or my Belkin 802.11g router does not like my igorance of proper procedures and thus only usually works partially. I assume it is probably not the router as I have no trouble from my Windows XP computer, if the other computer is running Windows 98 or Windows 2000. Since I will have to help the person that needs the restored files, it would be helpful it I had a clearer understanding. If not I can at usually at least get the shared folder to share properly, so that would be an alternative folder if the image can not be accessed directly.

------------

Thank you for any assistance.

14. Acronis Support

Hello donald,

Please note that when you mount the image as a drive it will be available only on the local computer where the drive is mounted. You may mount the image under Windows XP (32bit), copy the necessary files to the shared folder and then access the files from within Windows XP 64.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

15. donald

donald Registered Member

Thank you for the answer. :)

I was hoping to be able to access the mounted drive, over the network, but at least I know now that it won't work. I guess I'll have to hope my 32 bit system lasts a while longer until software catches up to hardware, as I hope never to have to buy a 32 bit processor again.....well, except for possibly putting a second one in my current system. :p

16. Atomic_Ed

Thanks again for the info. I just purchased True Image 8 today as well so I am looking forward to the x64 compatible upgrade when it becomes available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.