Windows XP Upgrade Falls Short

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, Aug 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Microsoft has paid so little attention to security over the years that consumers who use Windows have been forced to spend more and more of their time and money fending off viruses, hackers, spyware and spam. For this reason, the burden of using a Windows computer has grown immeasurably recently.

WSJ

2. Brent

Brent Registered Member

Money and time?

If people would have paid attention to security over the years then these worms and viruses would spread no where near as fast and pose no where near the risk as they do today.

As far as money and time....

I use four free programs to protect my computer.

Windows Update (hmm how many times as a patch been released to protect people from worms ( **Cough Sasser ) and people not install them?
    Ad-Aware (Run a scan everynow and then. Never finds anything)
    Spybot S&D (same as Ad-Aware)
    Hi-Jack this (Same as above. I know how to use it so none of the becareful comments please :) )

oh and there is this thing called common sense. As in not opening a attachment from someone who you dont know....

I use Windows Firewall (SP2)

No virus scanner (Back to the common sense deal )

So Microsodt shouldnt be blamed as much as they are. Sure they can do alot better. But people are the ones that make it look bad. THe kind of people that hit the power button and then let their 9 year old click yes to every pop up and open every attachment while having no firewall to block worms.

3. honorable1nut

honorable1nut Registered Member

If your Adaware or Spybot NEVER find anything, then I'd have to say you aren't REALLY doing a full system scan. Granted, most of what they find are just MRU's, but it still finds stuff everytime! Guaranteed!!

4. Brent

Brent Registered Member

I am talking about actual spyware and tracking cookies. ;)

and no it doesnt find stuff everytime

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.