Windows XP Shutdown "Hang"

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TheKid7, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I frequently get a Windows XP shutdown hang on two of my three Windows XP Pro PC's. There is the message something about a program still running and asks if you want to "End Now". The path is to a Sun Java Folder. Does anyone have this problem? What should I do to get rid of the problem?

Thank you.

2. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

I have a similar problem occasionally on my Vista machine. It's something about taskschedular still running and before I can hit End now or cancel, the message (which takes up the whole screen) goes away and the computer shuts down normally.

What could be causing it?
    Thanks.

Since yours points to Java, do you have the JRE installed? If so, maybe try reinstalling it.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Could perhaps be the java updater that's running and won't let go at shutdown. Not sure how you'd fix that, unless you want to just disable it.

4. TheKid7

Thanks for your comments.

I uninstalled all of the entries (bunch of them) for Java in the Add/Remove Programs and Restarted the PC. I then downloaded the latest Sun Java Stand Alone Installer and installed the latest version. Then I turned off the Java Auto Update feature. We will see if that helps.

Is it a bad practice to remove all of the Sun Java entries in the Add/Remove Programs before Restarting the PC? Should I have Restarted after each entry removal? I did remove them in order (oldest version first). The reason I asked is that the Restart sequence stopped before Windows shut down and I lost the monitor output on Windows start requiring me to Restart again. Now everything seems to be OK. It seems like Sun should uninstall the old version during the Java updating process.

What a "stack" of automatically generated Windows Restore points. One for each Java version uninstalled!

5. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

I think starting with Java 6 Update 11, the updater removed the previous version during the installation process. If you still have other ancient installs like Java 5 or Java 6 update 2,3,4 etc, you can remove them all in Add or Remove Programs (save some disk space) and just keep the latest which is currently Java 6 Update 13.

Regards,

Mark.

PS: Any ideas on what my shutdown error indicates?

6. TheKid7

No ideas.

I have no experience with Windows VISTA.

7. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Okay, thanks anyways. Perhaps someone else will know.

Are you still having the problem?

8. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

9. TheKid7

The problem seems to have gone away. Only time will tell.

10. TheKid7

The problem appears to be "solved". No more "Hangs" so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.