Windows XP Service Pack 2: Install With Care

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Jul 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The real surprise with Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 isn't potential compatibility issues, but the mayhem that can occur when SP2 is downloaded onto a system.

CRN Test Center engineers evaluated a release candidate two (RC2) version of SP2, and upon completion of the install on three out of five systems, the machines blue-screened. A message stated that "winserv" was missing. The blue screen occurred on both Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) and Intel platforms, and all systems were running Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 1 installed. Every possible avenue to get back into Windows failed.

Security Pipeline

2. the mul

the mul Registered Member

Well I for one will not be installing it until it is fully released and has been out for a while and tested by others, before i will make the leap as my system is running great.

The Mul

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I made the mistake of trying the beta 5 version of Windows Update. Looks like it is here to stay.
    Your computer is scanned when you boot up using memory in the task manager.
    I'm not sure if the program keeps running at all times. I renamed the dll responsible.
    I suppose if everyone would keep their computers secure and updated, a service pack like this wouldn't be needed. But, that is just speculation on my part.

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I tried the version 5 didn't like it at all. Did a restore and got rid of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.