Windows XP Repair After Malware Cleaning

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by TheKid7, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Someone I know was infected with a Rogue. I forgot the exact name of the Rogue, but it was related to Disk Utilities. He was unable to download any Anti-Malware software from the web, was unable to access CD/DVD drives, etc. to copy Anti-Malware software to his PC.

I told him to boot the AVIRA Rescue CD and scan/clean with it. He did and he says that he has no more pop-ups from the Malware, but in Windows he cannot access either of his two CD/DVD drives. I told him to check to see if he can access a USB stick.

As expected, I do not think that he has a Windows XP Restore CD. He says that he will look for a Restore CD tonight. He will also check to see if he can access a USB stick. He does have a hidden Restore Partition but does not want to use it, if possible.

Is there a way to fix the CD/DVD drive access and other damage by some other means than using a Repair Install from a Windows Restore CD?

I have never used the software "Re-enable". Does anyone have any experience with Re-enable? Will Re-enable fix the problems?

-http://www.tangosoft.co.uk/re-enable%20v2.html-

The PC is a HP Desktop and is around 8 years old.

Thanks in Advance.

2. SUPERIOR

SUPERIOR Registered Member

i tried this months ago ...it was good and fixed some virus sality left ..but for me i would like to use VirusEffectRemover and Remove Restrictions Tool ...both are perfect for me
    btw, there are so much many tools for fixing malwares left

3. TheKid7

I instructed him to uninstall his CD/DVD Drives and then restart the PC. Hardware->Device Manager->DVD/CD-ROM Drives. After following my instructions, he said that his PC is now back to normal.

Of course, I recommended to perform a scan with “at least” Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to “mop-up” Malware.

I provided instructions and options for a replacement Antivirus program and how to properly remove the expired (and most likely damaged) one that he has now.

4. TheKid7

The name of the Malware that was most likely blocking CD/DVD drive access is "Windows Disk" or some variant. I do not know the names of any other Malware that had infected his PC.

5. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.