Windows XP Password Problems after Restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kevand, Nov 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevand

kevand Registered Member

TI: V10 Home
    Backup Source: Connected USB 2.0 external drive.

I recently restored a previous image on my computer. The computer is running Windows XP Pro and is a member of a domain. When I try to log in to the computer after an image restore, and that restore was made at a time when my password is different from my current password, I can't log in. I get a message about a missing domain controller from Windows.

I can get on to the machine by unplugging my network cable and then logging in with the password as it was at the time image was made. Thinking that Windows was just "out of sync" with the network-based domain controller, I tried to change my password by plugging the network cable back into the machine then changing it in the normal windows way. The new password was accepted and everything looked good until I reset my machine. Upon restart, I was back to the same situation (unable to log in unless network unplugged).

I realize that this may be a Windows quirk but has any one out there seen / fixed this issue? What do I need to do to fix it? If there's no fix it seriously limits the utility of TI on my machine. My password must be changed every 30 days or so per network policy.

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

I wonder if attaching the file permissions of the restored copy to those of your current log in would work.

This would require ADMIN privileges and booting into safe mode at the workstation, though ADMIN might be able to do ti from the server console.

Colin

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  3. RichardBrennan

RichardBrennan Registered Member

I think your instincts about the computer being out of sync with the domain are right on the money. Except, it's not your user account that is out of sync - it's the computer's domain account. Every few days the domain contoller changes the computer account's password and syncs that info with your workstation. You have now gone "back in time", so the domain controller thinks your workstation is an imposter.

Solution: remove the computer from the domain, and put it in a workgroup. Reboot. Delete the "old" computer account from the domain controller, then add your computer back to the domain. I bet that does the trick.

// Richard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.