Windows XP - IP Blocking

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by John Bull, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Please can anybody advise if there is a way to selectively block IP`s from accessing Windows XP. I have a block call facility on my telephone and can block selected Emails myself. What I want is a simple means of blocking selected IP`s from accessing my PC. A user friendly method of blocking IP`s and unblocking them.

Not particularly interested in packaged software, but will listen if it is free. I had in mind a method where by I could create an internal tweak that I could add or delete IP`s as needed.

These IP`s are not necessarily Malware, they are addresses I do not want to access my PC. All operational websites have this facility, even Wilders.

If the procedure for doing this is complicated, then I will withdraw as I am not a Geek and have no wish to become one, but the result may still be of value to other readers.

Many thanks
    John

PS - I know my Firewall blocks Malware, but this question is about IP`s that are legitimate but personally not wanted on my PC as decided by me.

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Hosts file can block domain names, of which you are probably aware. That might not be of help.

You could use what is called a persistent route to pipe a specific IP to an used IP on your internal network.

You could probably use IP Security Policies, but not so user friendly. Not hard, just the interface seriously needs some human help ;)

You could of course use the windows firewall to block incoming IPs.

There are a couple other tricks, but I think they are 3rd party tools.

Enough to get you started?

Sul.

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Try PeerBlock or your firewall.

4. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I'd just like to add - and by no means it means that anything is wrong with it, but I'm having issues with it - the newest version of PeerBlock seems not to block any IPs. I have downgraded to the previous beta version [PeerBlock 1.0+ (r484)], meanwhile, which was and is working.

5. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

John, please explain what you mean in saying that IP's are accessing your computer.

If other computers are really accessing your computer, and you're not intentionally running a server, you have a serious problem. There should be no ports available for inbound requests.

6. culla

culla Registered Member

i use leechblock addon for firefox :D

7. John Bull

I did not wish the valued and generous efforts of Wilders members to be wasted on some silly question. The thought came to me when looking at my firewall. Some of these blocked IP`s bombard my set like a Gatling gun and never stop. A typical IP listed 50 attempts in a very short time and started again later.

I know this is normal firewall activity and the IP`s are of not serious threats, but I wondered if I could simply block these pests from even bouncing on my set and generating 100`s of repeat firewall events.

I can sense from your replies that it is probably a stupid JB question and perhaps best forgotten. Sorry to waste your time. I promise to write my lines out after school. Unless the thread serves some purpose, end it.

A typical IP is :-
    IP.JPG

John

8. hierophant

If the firewall they're banging on is the software firewall running on your computer, you could add a hardware firewall to your ISP connection, and let them bang on that instead.

Other than that, there's not much you can do, AFAIK. Although you could complain to their ISPs, that's probably futile.

9. JustJohnny

JustJohnny Registered Member

Can't you just create a rule in your firewall? You are using a firewall, I hope.

10. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Get behind a NAT router.
    I still like what Steve Gibson has to say on the topic.
    Check it out here, it isn't really that much reading, and as Gibson explains,

11. hierophant

@John Bull

Upon reflection, I get that you must have meant that they're banging on your computer's software firewall.

Page42 and I are recommending the same solution -- a NAT router, which is also called a NAT firewall. Although hardware firewalls can be very expensive and hard to administer, basic NAT routers/firewalls are inexpensive, and require minimal setup if you just want to block uninvited inbound traffic.

12. John Bull

I thank every one of you for taking the time and replying in such detail to my rather silly question. It just goes to show the dedication and genuine interest shown by our Wilders members as against other Forum`s, where I post a perfectly sensible and logical question (not this one), get over 90 views and NO replies.

I will explore the NAT router suggestion, but will probably leave my ZA Firewall to keep blocking all these IP`s. It does not seem to mind doing it. I just thought that if I could block some of these persistent and repetitive pests "at the door" it would save looking at streams of identical flotsam listed on my Firewall log.

Thank you.
    John

PS - I know many of you are members of other Forum`s - so am I - but my experience after a very long time is that the response from these is generally very poor with of course a few random exceptions. I find it is best to stick to Wilders, where almost always one gets a full and sometimes very technical and explicit response from a very large and knowledgeable community. This thread is a typical example. It is the "No question is too small or stupid" syndrome of sheer enthusiasm.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  13. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

John, they are being blocked "at the door".
    Your FW is doing what it is supposed to do.
    If you don't want to put a router between you and the internet, then my best advice (intended without sarcasm) would be to stop viewing the logs.
    It's the only surefire way I know to save yourself from looking at streams of identical flotsam.
    It's a bit like staring at your vehicle's odometer and complaining about all the miles you are putting on the car.

14. John Bull

Page - you`re a great guy, I like it and every word bang on the button.

You are 100% correct pal, I`ll do just what you say. As a toddler my Mum used to say when I had a sore pimple " Don`t pick it, it`ll never get better".

Thanks Page
    John

15. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

John, getting stuck in the minutiae can do one's head in. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.