Windows XP Internal Spyware

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Peto, Oct 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peto

Peto Registered Member

I hope that these forums are the correct place for this discussion.

Many computer users have remained loyal to Windows 2000 not only because it is a very stable oprerating system, but also because of the perceptions--still out there--that Windows XP and Vista contain spyware inherent within the system.

Many other computer users dissagree vehemently, or will take the position that such spyware is inevitable and unavoidable--and, therefore, "forget about it and get a life!"

I am hoping for an even tempered discussion concerning what is known at this time for certain and what actions an educated and capable user can do to remove or disable such spyware and other stealth actions in Windows XP at this time.

I build my own computers and have been using Windows 2000 with all service packs, because I am aware of the spyware inherent to Windows 2000. It is called "Alexa"; and it is easily removable.

I am not so familiar with Windows XP. But today support for Windows 2000 is diminishing; and new games are more frequently configuring their games for XP and no lower. I am, therefore, considering upgrading to Windows XP with the most approppriate Service Packs.

My assumption is that Windows XP is sufficiently familiar to the security communities such that it is now possible to have a M$-spyware and M$-stealth free installation with the right user precautions.

Are there any suggestions? Thank you in advance. :)

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

There are some services that you can disable.
    I take the easy route and install XP Antispy for that purpose.
    I would be more suspicious of Windows Update than the other services.
    I don't know that I would call of the un-needed services "spyware".

http://xp-antispy.org/index.php?lang=en

3. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

4. Ragzarok

Ragzarok Registered Member

Hello,
    He seems to be referring to the recent events with Microsoft updates processes running and updating with out the user permission and particularly with system that have disabled windows updates services. After this happened, some users have been unable to user their machines any further or have had tremendous difficulties with updating, installing programs, etc...

5. 19monty64

There was also an issue of not being able to "repair" with disk in boot-up options failing because of silent updates, which I got. Since then I installed rule-based firewall and shut down a LOT of Windows services. Short of uninstalling the WGA-tool, (MS is cracking down on off-site dLo's of patches), the choices are....

6. the Tester

About these "stealth" updates...
    I understood that the only users that were effected were those using automatic updates.Is that true?

7. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

I'd be surprised if I was having "stealth updates" since SSM need to approve all the normal ones before they can take place.

8. 19monty64

I had automatic updates turned off, even at the services level, and re-enable thru XP-antispy to get the updates off the internet, not auto-updates. (The timestamps of the changed files were aug.30)

9. the Tester

That's the way I update Windows also.
    Been checking the wu files and haven't found anything changed yet.

10. 19monty64

11. the Tester

Thanks for the link 19monty64.
    Those are the files that I checked.
    Only a few files had dates in August.The 4th.I believe that I went to Windows Update site that day.

12. 19monty64

While monitoring my system after a new software install, I noticed IEXPLORE.exe was using upwards of 81MB/ram for reasons unknown. I found something interesting. I obviously have AutomaticUpdates disabled, but I guess stealth updates are still possible.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.