Windows XP Home repair install question...

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Mercurybird, May 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mercurybird

Mercurybird Registered Member

I was trying out a password program that I downloaded. After installation was through, Windows told me that some crucial Windows files had been replaced. It said that if I didn't insert the CD and restore them that Windows could be unstable. But then it wouldn't recognize my Windows XP Home CD. No harm seems to have been done... but should I do an Install/Repair from the CD to make sure that all the files are put back as Windows original?

Also, another reason I'm asking is, I dodn't want PG to somehow be confused as to what is real and what isn't. I have the PG registered version on its way and I want all my Windows files to be native Windows.

Am I being too uptight about nothing here?

Thanks! :doubt:

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Can you just run restore back to before you installed the password program o_O

3. Eliot

Eliot Registered Member

A full repair install should not be necessary. Simply insert the cd while in XP and open a run dialogue box(start - run) and type sfc/scannow then press enter. XP will replace any files that were there upon the original install from the CD. Would be wise to use a SP1 slipstream cd if you have SP1 installed as well. Hope that helps.

Eliot :)

4. Mercurybird

I'm not running system restore since I run Ghost. But maybe I should rethink that! :)

5. Mercurybird

Wow that's one I hadn't heard of yet. Thanks, I'm going to look into that. I don't have the software to produce the slipstream CD, but I'm going to look around and see if someone will sell me one. :D

6. Mercurybird

Oops! I was only thinking of the SP1 part of it. I sure didn't mean to imply that I would accept a pirated copy of someone else's version of Windows XP. I have a friend who has the SP1 CD, I could run fsc/scannow, and then apply the SP! patch again if needed. Thanks Eliot!

7. Eliot

Eliot Registered Member

Your welcome. I hope it works out for ya. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.