Windows XP Home repair install question...

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Mercurybird, May 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mercurybird

Mercurybird Registered Member

I was trying out a password program that I downloaded. After installation was through, Windows told me that some crucial Windows files had been replaced. It said that if I didn't insert the CD and restore them that Windows could be unstable. But then it wouldn't recognize my Windows XP Home CD. No harm seems to have been done... but should I do an Install/Repair from the CD to make sure that all the files are put back as Windows original?

Also, another reason I'm asking is, I dodn't want PG to somehow be confused as to what is real and what isn't. I have the PG registered version on its way and I want all my Windows files to be native Windows.

Am I being too uptight about nothing here?

Thanks! :doubt:

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Can you just run restore back to before you installed the password program o_O

3. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

A full repair install should not be necessary. Simply insert the cd while in XP and open a run dialogue box(start - run) and type sfc/scannow then press enter. XP will replace any files that were there upon the original install from the CD. Would be wise to use a SP1 slipstream cd if you have SP1 installed as well. Hope that helps.

Eliot :)

4. Mercurybird

I'm not running system restore since I run Ghost. But maybe I should rethink that! :)

5. Mercurybird

Wow that's one I hadn't heard of yet. Thanks, I'm going to look into that. I don't have the software to produce the slipstream CD, but I'm going to look around and see if someone will sell me one. :D

6. Mercurybird

Oops! I was only thinking of the SP1 part of it. I sure didn't mean to imply that I would accept a pirated copy of someone else's version of Windows XP. I have a friend who has the SP1 CD, I could run fsc/scannow, and then apply the SP! patch again if needed. Thanks Eliot!

7. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

Your welcome. I hope it works out for ya. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.