Windows XP Home Edition Update Failures

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by FireDancer, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FireDancer

FireDancer Registered Member

Hello,

Well my day started off great, it is sunday morning and sunny the coffee is fresh and hot and then I boot up my lap top to check for critical updates and thats when my day goes a little bit south... ughhh.

I am new to XP still and with that in mind I check for updates daily due to the fact that XP seems to be most affected by all the garbage out there on the internet. I have been a hard core 98SE fan for a long while but thought it might be time for a change .

Anyways my delema is that I found 5 new critical updates 2 which downloaded and installed fine but 3 just downloaded and failed to install. Can any one look at the posted updates and possibly tell me why and what I need to do to get them installed. Please move this if needed as I wasnt sure where to post due to it's nature or content dealing with a particular OS.

The updates in question are below:

Failed Sunday, April 18, 2004 Security Update for Windows XP (KB835732) Web site
    Failed Sunday, April 18, 2004 Security Update for Windows XP (KB828741) Web site
    Failed Sunday, April 18, 2004 Security Update for Windows XP (KB837001) Web site

Very Best Regards,
    FireDancer

2. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

Did you ck and see if the critical updates are available by doing windows update again? If so, ck the "info" for each and see if it pertains. The installs take quite a bit of time and patience as opposed to the downloading of the updates. May have to wait some time after the download to see if they'll install. What you might try is only downloading and installing one at a time to reduce conflicts. Critical updates are now listed in add/remove programs so you might ck and see if any remnants remain like partial install.......if the KB... is listed then I would remove before trying to dnld/instl again.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

If you are checking win updates every day you ought to just set it for auto updates and let it download the updates as they come available.

4. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Hi BigC,

Is it wise for security reasons to have auto-update on? If there are critical updates available it will be mentioned in many security forums. I, for instance get an sms when critical updates are available. Also when there is a new critical virus, worm etc.
    Greetings,

Gerard

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I don't know about anyone else but I have had auto update on since I got my first xp machine,several years and have never had a problem. But I guess that is just personal preference. ;)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2004
  6. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

I don't use auto. I ck for updates daily. Personal preference for sure. Anyhow, what about the questions I asked you Firedancer?

7. Scottz

Scottz Guest

Is it possible to get back to the original problem here?
    I'm seeing the same thing and autoupdate doesn't help solve it.

There is no explaination as to why the x3 updates fail.

Have tried one at a time in different sequences and that doesn't help.

The entry in "Windows Update.log" is:

2004-05-03 18:38:39 01:38:39 Error IUENGINE See iuhist.xml for details: Install finished (Error 0x80072EFD)

iuhist.xml is just what you would see if you clicked on "View installation history" after the update fails to install. That in itself just shows you that it failed with no further information.

Error 0x80072efd isn't on MSKB

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

8. Dronepower

Dronepower Guest

To be honest, I have the same problem.

Funny thing is: I have dual boot, my 1st xp succeeded the update, my second didn't.

The only difference between them is that my 2nd xp is a service stripped one. several services are turned off.

but that shouldnt be the problem?

I used this site for the stripping:
    http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

cheers,

Jan

9. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

some reasons could be

1 cryptographic service turned off
    2 some of the updates depend on previous updates being installed, and if not there then subsequent updates fail
    3 non legal copy of windows and update now rejects many updates unless it can verify you have a legal copy
    4. you have a legal copy but something like NIS blocks important information to M$ in it's privacy settings so windows thinks you have a dodgy copy & rejects the updates

otherwise work through the lists here
    http://www.petri.co.il/wu_problems.htm

error Error 0x80072efd is normally unable to connect to server at M$ so would frequently be caused by 4 above or your firewall set to block

10. I had the same issue with installing KB835732 and having it fail repeatedly. The problem was fixed when I tried to install it manually from the following URL: <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0692c27e-f63a-414c-b3eb-d2342fbb6c00&DisplayLang=en>
    It said that my "cmd.exe" file was in use. Due to a security issue I had previously denied access to CMD.EXE. I simply modified privileges and the update ran fine.
    Now, you may have a different file that KB835732 needs access to, but the Windows Update failure message won't say. Try installing it manually and seeing if the error message generated there is helpful.
    Good luck!
    Gibraltar Systems

11. Questt

Questt Guest

i did have block some microsoft components by firewall and i just put it all programs "ask" switch on what was "denied" erlier.. and now update work again =)

12. Dronepower

Dronepower Guest

Thanks! I solved this issue

Just to let you guys know, my problem was the cryptographic service being turned off.

cheers,

Jan

13. the same thing happened to me with the same patch in my windows 2000 system. when i tried to install it with the manual link it told me i needed more space for the uninstallation files. i cleared up a bit more room on my drive and it installed fine. (wanted 127mb free space)
    thanks for the manual link.
    -e

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.