Windows XP firewall process

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by johnny_dacu, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnny_dacu

johnny_dacu Registered Member

I'm trying to figure it out why i have so may process that run after windows starts up. Until now I was able to identify most of my processes but there is none for system firewall?

2. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

3. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Yes , Microsoft's svchost.exe plays many roles in a Windows OS. Here is more information about it:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314056

4. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

check with process explorer..

5. tekkaman

tekkaman Registered Member

Windows firewall is a service. It's called : "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)" And the process itself it's named svchost like many other system processes.

6. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

tekkaman pointed out the service for Windows Firewall. Out of the box Windows XP has A LOT of services on autostart that simply don't need to be running. Determine which ones these are (for your own particular setup & needs), and you will unlock what your PC is really capable of. The results can be astounding. I've had people amazed at how much snappier theirs were after some minor tweaks.

I personally have 19 processes running right now and 3 things checked on my startup list. That's how I roll...

7. ElToucano

ElToucano Registered Member

The firewall service starts as "svchost.exe -k netsvcs" like many others. You can track the PID in task manager by stopping and starting the service or by checking the service log on name against user name in task manager. Or easier still is this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314056

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.