Windows XP built-in zip problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by adrianyujs, Dec 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Global Force

Global Force Guest

adrianyujs,

A little trial and error on your part as described in the article on post 36 should help you weed out the offending entry.
    Note the term *reboot* between enabling/disabling.

GF

2. adrianyujs

adrianyujs Registered Member

I tried, it can't work....

3. controler

controler Guest

Global

I am running SP2 all patches here. XP Pro

You can not drag and drop or copy and past from one Windows zipped folder to another. You can drag & drop or copy and past from one Windows zipped foler to another folder that is not Windows zipped.

Their is no right click context menu for Windows zipped files on my system.

I even checked into the shared folder options and get same results.
    I have no other zip program on my test machine.
    This is something MS doesn't let you do with their ZIP version.

4. Global Force

Global Force Guest

Hey controler,

Thank's for the confirmation. Yes, I'm now aware from zip to regular work's both from the context menu and drag/drop. There would really be no reason for anyone to go zip to zip, nor is this the issue for our friend adrianyujs. I'm not sure what's happened in his situation, but I sure hope the adjustment's he made with ShellExView work after a reboot.

The other area I was trying to check was what happen's during the actual copy .... if there was maybe something holding up the transfer to his user temp? Maybe just a reboot or maybe some other dll's need to be re-registered. Guess we'll have to wait for the *Judge,* now won't we? :D

Thank's again,
    GF

5. Global Force

Global Force Guest

adrian,

If you don't mind, I would like you try two task's using ShellExView once again. Each will require a re-boot,
    then testing for function.

From the View tab, inside - Choose Columns .... make sure Extension Name - Disabled - Type - and Company
    are selected.

• In the first task disable ALL the non-Microsoft extension's for *Type* Context Menu, then re-boot. Test.

• If no difference, disable ALL non-M$ extension's for *Type* Property Sheet, re-boot. Test.

The other type that may be causing the issue would be reserved under System (process of elimination here).

As a final request should you return this evening, please copy and paste the result's from the text file cpcheck
    the below line will generate when placed inside your runbox. You'll find it in your *C* directory.
    *modify if windows is located on another drive.

regedit /e c:\cpcheck.txt "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Interface\{0000010e-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"

GF

6. adrianyujs

This is cpcheck i get.

Attached Files:

7. adrianyujs

I tried your method, it still can't work.

8. Global Force

Global Force Guest

adrianyujs,

Look on your post here. Disable that twelfth one down, *OLE Docfile Property Page* Re-boot and try it.

While still disabled after re-boot, please re-run and attach my regedit line from above.

GF

9. magaim

magaim Registered Member

I have the same problem with drag and drop (copy and paste) from WindowsXP built-in ZIP folders.

Please help me.i don't want to format my HDD :)

mgm (at) centrum.sk

10. Global Force

Global Force Guest

Hello magaim, Welcome to the Forum's! ;)

Are you also trying to copy from within a zip file, then attempting to paste to a non-zipped one?
    Does your Window's installation reside on C, or where?

Are you sp1 or sp2?

GF

11. Global Force

Global Force Guest

Would either of you care to let me know if you have MS04-038: Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer installed (HOTFIX KB834707)? One other solution that seem's to be working for some people is disabling the mouse wheel.

GF

12. ros_si

ros_si Guest

Hi,

I have the same problem.
    And also in Outlook. If I try to copy a attachment to the desktop or folder, it doesn't work.
    How can I disable the Mousewheel ?

Thanks
    ros_si

13. Global Force

Global Force Guest

Hello ros_si,

I take it's XP your on? Can you bring it up entering main.cpl into your runbox?
    If not, are you comfortable with the registry?

GF

14. Global Force

Global Force Guest

Excuse me ros_si .... that would also be inside the Control Panel. :D

GF

15. ros_si

ros_si Guest

Ok, you're right. I have a touchpad without a wheel.
    But I there is a option for a "virtual scrolling".
    After I disabled it, Drag & Drop (Winzip & Outlook) doesn't work.

Cheers
    Rossi

16. adrianyujs

Hello, GF, finally i'm back, i busy these day.

I tried that trick, also can't work.

Lol.. there got another people same problem with meo_O? Maybe SP3 will fix this problem.....Hopefully.

17. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Try TUGZip at http://www.tugzip.com/

18. adrianyujs

Hello guy!!! What do you means? Please read all the post before reply me, I don't want use 3nd party compression software, what I want is to fix the windows built-in zip problem.....

19. Global Force

Global Force Guest

Must'a been busy with your Developer Studio, ay? :D

Hi adrianyujs,

I'm sure you must not favor reading this but I find it highly unlikely Ramesh to be an idiot. Not experiencing similar problem's as all those who's searching for resolve would bring them to this one of many such thread's, may I at least try to emphasize an important technique here .... *Process of Elimination!*

True the answer might well be tied in with some update or transfer after copy to the user temp folder .... without systematically ruling out other variables how can you possibly expect to be successful? So, if I were presented this problem ....

Yep, ShellExView again. Though this time I'd run the gamut, eliminating all (M$ or non) given *types* one at a time, checking for functionality between re-boot's. Say in the first round I'd disable ALL Icon Handler's - re-boot - try it .... then all Shell Folders, and so on until I have through *Process of Elimination* determined my issue lies somewhere else.

The answer must come from someone who is not only experiencing this behavior, but willing to go through the motion's.

GF

20. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

adrianyujs - have u formatted yet like u said numerous posts ago? maybe its time to do so.

21. Global Force

Global Force Guest

I would also pay careful attention to *CLSID Modified Time* when selecting column's. ;)

GF

22. adrianyujs

Not yet, busy these day.

23. adrianyujs

I tried all the way you order me to do, but failed. Sorry buddy, no idea already.

24. Global Force

Global Force Guest

An additional note from the Ramesh site in case you weren't paying attention ....
    GF

25. adrianyujs

I pay a lot of attention to all the information you gave me, last time you also told me run SFC /scannow. I run sfc /scannow, windows told me insert Windows XP CD, then i put it in, then windows is checking and verifying and found no error.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.