Windows XP Big Problem/Virus

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by technique, Mar 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. technique

technique Registered Member

I am pretty computer illiterate so if you could explain this easy as possible that would be great, thanks.

Well today i got onto my computer and did someclass work and then i got off, everything seemed to be fine. About two hours later i tryed to log back onto my name and the computer froze. I did this many times and same thing happened. So finally i tried to log into my "guest" account and it took a while but worked. So then i figured i would try my account again. I logged out then logged into my account. This time it worked, except all of my settings, including my desktop, my theme, my start menu was default. All of my programs were still installed, but it was as if i had just logged on for the first time ever. I go to log into AIM and something pops up asking me for my User name and password as if i have never logged into AIM before. This was the same with all my other programs, such as my Spyware programs and what not, asking for registration information. I then looked at my internet history and files, and it was all empty. I did not empty anything, or delete any cookies or files or history. So now im starting to think i should run a virus scan. I opened up Ad-ware, Spyware, and Norton. Ad-ware and Spyware both worked, but they were as if they checked for two bugs, because both scans were over within 2 seconds literally, saying i had no threats. So now im trying to run norton, everything is working and i go to scan and i press scan. Normally something comes up in the box asking what part or which files do i want to scan in my computer. None of this happens. The only thing that happens is a little yellow warning message pops up, which looks like an IE warning message saying this URL may not be safe and my permission is denied to that url. My computer is also Running really really slow. I also tried to download "Hijack This!" and it would not let me. So i tryed downloading many different things and pop up comes up saying i cant download the files from the pages.

Please help me the best you can, and i will do anything i can do to help you fix my problem. Thanks very much in advanced.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

see If you can try to run the programs at the link. If you can run hijackthis don't clean anything till you post your log and one of the hijackthis people looks at it for you. Thank You, Do see if you can run spybot s&d.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=15913
    try this online av scan at the link http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

If that doesn't work try to use the tool at this link

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

some other removal and repair apps.
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/averttools.asp

3. technique

technique Registered Member

Thanks bigc for posting.

I tryed to download HiJack This and it wont let me download. I also tried to download both the programs on your links and it will not allow me. As for the online scan, the spot where im guessing its suposed to be, has an "x" on it, and is not loading nor working.

4. RIFLEMAN

RIFLEMAN Registered Member

Sounds like a trojan to me. Do you know someone with a machine in good shape in order to get these programs like hijack this or spybot? Another thing you could try is to boot in safe mode. To do this shut the computer down and the hit the power button. as soon as you see thins starting to go hit F-8. You should get a screen to ask you to boot in safe mode. Then try running your Antivirus from there. If it runs and finds something try to repair it. Then you should disable system restore. To do this--you hit start---performance and maintenance----on the left side you should see system restore in small print. Click on it and you should see a spot to turn system restore off. You will get a warning but do it anyways. Then run your antivirus again. Then reboot. If this all works then go online to see if you can get to the programs listed above. Run them also. You should also make sure your Microsoft updates are downloaded and fixed also. You can get a Trojan without the seurity updates. I found that out the hard way. Hope this helps.

5. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

In case you email is working, drop me an email (email address is my my profile), and I'll send you a copy. We can take it from there.

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.