Windows won't load after uninstall MRU Blaster

Discussion in 'MRU Blaster Forum' started by parcheesie, May 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. parcheesie

parcheesie Registered Member

After I installed MRU Blaster on my home computer, my icon for AOL would not work. Figuring there was a software conflict I went to settings and uninstalled MRU Blaster. Did a reboot, and as computer restarts, right after the Windows98 splash screen I get error message “Cannot find Win.com, unable to continue loading Windows”. Using my work computer I found instructions on MS Knowledge Base: I extracted Win.cnf from Cab file, deleted the win.com file that was corrupted, and renamed the extracted win.cnf to win.com. Now I have a different error message when I try to start computer “ Cannot find System.ini. You need to run Windows Setup again to install the file.” Can’t find anything relevant on MS Knowledge Base about this one. Anyone have a suggestion? I’m using boot disk to get system started and trying to reinstall Windows, and I keep getting these errors. I’m ready to switch to Linux if this keeps up. Thanks.

2. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

In this case the easiest solution would probably be to restore a previous copy of the Registry:

Go to Start > Shutdown, and choose "Restart the computer in MS-DOS mode

Type the following lines, each one followed by pressing 'enter'.

cd\
    cd windows\command
    scanreg /restore (NOTE: there's a space following 'Scanreg' !)

- Select the previous registry you want to restore, and then press ENTER.
    NOTE: A properly working registry has the word "Started" next to the date.
    - When you receive notification that you restored a properly working registry, press ENTER to restart your computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.