Windows won't boot after installing True Image 11 Home

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by CharleyCross, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CharleyCross

CharleyCross Registered Member

Yesterday I installed True Image 11 Home on my PC. At the end of the installation, it asked permission to reboot, and I allowed it to do so. The boot process looked normal up to the point of displaying my wallpaper background on the screen. But the Windows task bar never appeared, and neither did the assorted icons that normally populate my desktop. Disk activity stopped and nothing seemed to be going on for several minutes. Using Ctrl+Alt+Delete I was able to run Task Manager. I found the process TrueImageTryStartService.exe running. I'd never seen this before, and it's name was obviously connected to the product I'd just installed.

When I ended TrueImageTryStartService.exe, my boot process suddenly completed and then the PC functioned normally as far as I can tell. I've tried rebooting several times, with consistent results.

I gather this service is related to the "Try&Decide" feature, so I assume it's critical for that feature to work properly. It's less clear to me whether not having it running will have any impact on other True Image features.

I verified that I have current software (8053). I'm running Windows XP Pro x64, and I wonder whether Acronis might have trouble on 64-bit OSes.

Searching the Acronis KB for "TrueImageTryStartService" yields no hits.

Obviously I can go into Services from Control Panel and switch TrueImageTryStartService to disabled or manual, and then my PC should boot normally. But what am I losing? Presumably if Acronis included this service it must be important.

I want my new backup software to be about the most reliable thing on my PC, so this experience is a bit unnerving!

Anybody have any clues? Thanks!

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello CharleyCross,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that TrueImageTryStartService.exe is used only for the Try&Decide function. If you aren't going to use that function, it's safe to set the service to disabled or manual.

If you would like us to help resolving the problem you encountered, could please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly?

Please create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. CharleyCross

CharleyCross Registered Member

Marat--

Thanks for your reply!

It's nice to know that at least the problem is hurting just the Try&Decide feature. So far (2 days experience) backups seem to be behaving.

I do like the concept of the Try&Decide feature, so it would be nice to resolve this problem. Indeed, as you suggested, I've been trying to open a support call on it, but as yet I've been unable to get registered on your Web site. It gets to the point where it says to check my email for further instructions, but no email ever arrives (I've tried 3 times). Gennady is investigating that problem. Once we get that squared away, I'll be able to submit the info you suggested.

In the meantime, do you know whether TrueImageTryStartService creates any sort of log that might provide some sort of clue as to why it's hanging?

Thanks again.

4. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

I actually removed the whole TI 11 from my entire PC. But before I uninstalled it, I created a rescue CD and the VistaPE boot CD with BartPE plugin, and also created the Secure Zone F11 function.

Once I created those 3 things, there is no need to run TI from Windows at all, so I removed it so it doesn't take up resources unnecessarily, as I do not need to use the secure wiping part to TI (I use another program called Eraser for this) and I do not need the Try&Decide etc etc etc.

Maybe you could consider doing the same thing as I did, which will be a solution for you.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello CharleyCross,

No, TrueImageTryStartService doesn't create any kind of log.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.