Windows will not boot after restore.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by alg973, Apr 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alg973

alg973 Registered Member

i performed a complete image of my c drive to an external hard drive with periodic updates.

I didn't make a secure zone.

I needed to restore the system because of the kids internet junk.

when i performed a system restore and reboot the system i get a message that windows was shut down improperly pick a configuration to restart.

No matter which I pick the system slowly works it's way back to this same screen.

if i let the timer count down and install itself it eventually boots correctly after the 30 second timer and another painful 30 second process time.

i later tried to format the hard drive and performed the restore but the same thing happened.

Any ideas?

2. JerrytheSurfer

JerrytheSurfer Registered Member

Alg,

Well, that sucks. I am very interested in how this resolves (or doesn't) as I may be in exactly your situation in the very near future. Please post what happens and if you finally get it resolved don't forget to post your solution so folks like me can avoid the problem.

Best of luck,

Jerry

3. alg973

alg973 Registered Member

Will do, it's probably something simple.

4. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Well it sounds like the backup Image was made when your C drive was not in perfect shape. You will have to forget that backup Image.

Since you have already gone through the format route, it wouldn't hurt to do it again and start from scratch, but this time before you do that, save all your documents and other data files, including the Favorites folder and your email boxes if you use OE.

Then format and reinstall your programs.

5. alg973

alg973 Registered Member

thanks but unfortunately not the good news I was looking for. oh well, at least i have my data.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello alg973,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please note that as Chutsman has already pointed out the most probable reason for the problem you encounter is that there were some errors on your hard drive when you created this particular image archive.

As far as I can understand you are in fact able to boot into Windows after the 30 second timeout passes and default option is selected automatically. If that's the case then we recommend you to boot into Windows and then check each partition of your hard drive by Windows utility in the way described below:

- For Windows 9x please use Windows menu Start\Run then enter the command "scandskw" and test all drives;

- For Windows XP please use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drive.

Note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

If the problem is gone after checking the hard drive then please create new image archive saving it to any type of the supported media (e.g. Acronis Secure Zone, any local\network\external hard drive, CD, DVD, ZIP, etc.).

If my assumption is not correct and you are not able to boot into Windows then please create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer having the issue from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please also provide us with the following information:

- Describe the way you restored the image in more details.

- Where do you store this particular image?

- Did you restore a single system partition or the entire hard drive?

- Describe actions taken before the problem appeared step-by-step.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.