Windows Vista - An interesting Read

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by dog, Apr 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dog

dog Guest

2. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

Wonderful :cool:

3. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

bad for the p2p people who use sites(torrents) to download illegal on internet explorer

4. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

5. <DreamCatcher>

<DreamCatcher> Registered Member

For example, attempting to download illicit MP3 files will result in a security alert being emailed to the RIAA. Similarly, any attempt to share movies will be reported to the MPAA. > How nice of Microsoft!

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

are there any mirrors for the article? atm i cant load teh link

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

What a crock :D :D

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  8. Alec

Alec Registered Member

You do realize the entire article was written "tongue-in-cheek"? I can't tell if you are being similarly facetious. o_O

9. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

What? :p

10. SSK

SSK Registered Member

You've got to be kidding me... :blink: :D

11. <DreamCatcher>

<DreamCatcher> Registered Member

Are you sure, Panic over! I Mean with all those agencies watching you I'm sometimes afraid to leave my homepage!;) :D

12. WSFuser

is the link valid? i still cant access it.

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Works here WS.

14. WSFuser

it was PeerGuardian that was blocking it. i find it weird since i only have teh p2p lists but eh.

15. DonMartin

DonMartin Registered Member

Notice the date when the article was published. :D
    Regards /Don

16. WSFuser

ok, hasnt April Fool's passed? i hardly found it humorous or amusing :cautious: :thumbd:

17. dog

dog Guest

Ahh, come on it was/is hilarious :D :D :D I was LMAO reading it :)

Ps, I will now move this thread to a more appropriate forum (10F)

18. WSFuser

honestly, metallicakid15's post made me think it was something serious.

edit: now that i think about it, im actually relieved its an April Fool's joke :D

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  19. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Mircosoft still has to figure out how to stop popups before they get fancy with Vista..but you will be ok :D

http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks/default.aspx

Details of installation environment.

Standard Windows XP Service Pack 2, running IE6 and the inbuilt pop-up blocker.

The pop-ups successfully evade Internet Explorer's pop-up blocker because of the following entries added by the Sponsor Program to the Pop-Up Blocker settings:
    (see link below)

Not only does the Sponsor Program deliberately bypass XPSP2 protections, the pop-ups that appear via said bypassing, more often than not, try to download software onto your system.

http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks/archive/2006/04/08/89789.aspx

Attached Files:

20. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

:D :D

Yes..we must have our P2P and all that Malware :p

http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks/archive/2006/04/04/89245.aspx

From Sandi:

"Guess what was the most prevalent infection detected by February's Malicious Software Removal Tool
    According to the Anti-Malware Engineering Team, the Malicious Software Removal Tool ("MSRT") is run on roughly 250,000,000 computers each month. In February they added detection of a malware called Win32/Alcan to the MSRT.

The team were surprised to discover, when they examined their February statistics, that Win32/Alcan was the most prevalent infection detected and removed, having been detected on 250,000 machines.

The reason I (and the Anti-Malware Engineering Team before me) are calling attention to these statistics is because Win32/Alcan does not spread via a software vulnerability. It spreads via P2P (Peer to Peer).

Commentary: The createTextRange vulnerability and other Windows vulnerabilities before it (WMF comes to mind), received a lot of publicity, and third party patches were even released to help protect the world from the dangerous situation (yes, I'm being facetious, nay I'm teetering on the edge of sarcasm).

When was the last time you saw such publicity about the dangers of P2P and/or warez, or a company offering a patch to block the most popular P2P networks?

Its like I said in my earlier blog when I recommended that the eEye patch for createTextRange NOT be installed - we need to assess the risk we're addressing versus the potential reward when deciding if a threat is great enough to take the risk of installing a third party, untested, patch or, even worse, a beta patch.

Don't get me wrong. I say that software vulnerabilities are a problem, and should be fixed as soon as possible. But, I am also saying that the risk of being infected by the latest new vulnerability is likely to be very low unless you indulge in risky behaviour anyway, and if you indulge in said risky behaviour you have *way* more to worry about than the latest vulnerability that you would have to be really really really unlucky to be exposed to.

Perhaps the popular press should start concentrating on risky behaviour instead of wringing their hands about the latest vulnerability."

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.