Windows Vista Activation Exploit Details

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Osaban, Jun 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi there,
    I need advice about the following procedure: I have been restoring my system with ShadowProtect many times (I'd say at least 20 times). Two months ago I saw for the first time an alert about a 'detected software SL08-010' 'type-activation exploit'. I followed the procedure advised by MS to check if the product is genuine and it passed the certification.

After restoring an image for the third time since then, I had the same alert about this activation exploit, I have validated again successfully.

My question: Is this the result of repeated restorations of my system or do I really have something on my system which emulates a genuine Windows copy?

Any information would be appreciated thanks (see attachments)

Attached Files:

2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

HI Osaban,

Search the internet for SL08-010

-- evidently others have encountered this.

----
    rich

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Well unfortunately for me, it looks like they managed to give me as a pre installed Windows Vista, one that is not exactly "original". I had an argument with the shop where I bought it, and in the end I managed to get a discounted copy of Vista sealed in a box. It's amazing how they will rip you off at any level. Well it serves me right to beware of discounts in the future.

4. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

@Osaban

This SL08-010 just means you have a exploit script running on your machine. It does not necessarily mean your windows in not legit.

Windows reports this when it finds the script on your computer. The script can get in your computer if you ran the script yourself or you downloaded some file which had the script embedded in it.

I had this error about 7 months ago on my Dell laptop that had genuine Vista home premium OEM installed. Even though my vista was legit, widows kept on reporting that this exploit was detected on my computer. I got rid of it by doing a factory restore.

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I bought my computer in Seoul, and most of the time the only brands that will give you a choice between a Korean and English OS are HP, Dell and Samsung. If it's not in the computer box you've got to buy Windows separately, which costs more. The shop originally had assured me that the had a deal with MS Korea about a number of licenses installed in house. Obviously that was not the case, as the emulation exploit could only be detected after the installation of Service Pack 1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.