Windows Vista: 15 reasons to switch

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Capp, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Supporting Article

Article

Opposing Articles:

Are you sure about upgrading?

and

Vista Upgrade: The Not-So-Rosy picture

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

When you read, it's actually sad.

Mac-like experience? Buy Mac. Or use any Linux with KDE. Ten times sexier.

3D desktops? Been around for a long time - XGL/Compiz:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:XglCompizCube.png

Movie making, gadgets, cool tools, nothing but a useless eye-candy - and not that sweet either.

ReadyBoost - a funny name for bloating your RAM.

Security - joke.

Price: Mortgage your kidneys.

You can have instead:

SUSE 10.2, which runs quite fine on a P3 with 512MB RAM and takes only 3GB to install, comes with 100+ useful applications, including Office, GIMP and a while lot more, infinitely better robustness, stability and security, constant updates, constant improvements, and the price of nil.

Ubuntu 6.10, which runs quite fine on a P3 with 256MB RAM and takes only 2GB to install, comes with 100+ useful applications, including Office, GIMP and a while lot more, infinitely better robustness, stability and security, constant updates, constant improvements, and the price of nil.

Mrk

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Windows Vista : 15 reasons to Switch. Let me see.

1. It's the Interface, Stupid
    I don't need transparant windows and animation disturbs my concentration, just like security messages.
    2. Flip Over Windows Flip 3D
    Not really necessary = pure gadgetry
    3. Live Thumbnails
    Not really necessary = pure gadgetry
    4. Boost Performance With ReadyBoost
    My computer is fast enough.
    5. Cool Performance Tools
    I'm not that kind of person.
    6. Better Security
    Windows and Security, hmmm... sounds like a contradictio in terminis.
    7. Find Anything Fast With Search
    Not really necessary. I'm organized.
    8. Nifty Software Gadgets
    Not really necessary = pure gadgetry.
    9. Better Wireless Networking
    No wireless networking here.
    10. Map Your Network
    No network here.
    11. Better Graphics With Windows Photo Gallery
    Not interested in Photos and graphics in general.
    12. Become a Director With Windows Movie Maker
    That could be interesting for me, if it does what I want.
    13. Better Notebook Support
    Not needed.
    14. File Sharing and Syncing
    Not needed.
    15. Protect Your Kids With Parental Controls
    I need the opposite.

So I don't have much reasons to switch to Windows Vista.
    In fact, I'm trying to tweak winXPproSP2 in order to get rid of all these gadgets and to customize winXPproSP2 forever with nLite.
    I think winVISTA must be a new bone for Tweakhound.

So no winVISTA for me.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

7. desktop search.
    Ms has got one for Xp if you really need one lol.
    but im organised as well.
    @Mrkvonic i agree with what you said about Suse 10.2
    does opera work on suse 10.2?
    also one last OT
    does the 64 bit of suse work with all the programs?
    unlike the joke windows xp 64 bit
    lodore

5. eyes-open

eyes-open Registered Member

It's true that looked on at face value, Vista doesn't present a great advance, particularly for those of us that like to play with the graphics and already feel reasonably secure. I can already simulate many of the apparent gains of Vista on my XP machine.

However the ability to emulate an effect, isn't the same as having the power of the underlying technology. So I'm not sure the examples given have been expressed in a particularly useful way.

I think it'll take a little time spent under the hood to appreciate the true nature of Vista - where it offers extended function, where it tries to restrict user choice etc........ so as it's a marathon and not a dash, I'll reserve judgement until it's been out for a while and the various tweaking communities have taken it apart.

I don't feel a need to rush out for it, but I'm likely to have to play with a version sooner or later.....

6. vhick

vhick Registered Member

maybe in the future...

compatibility in hardware is the main issue in vista. or better get the compable hardware.

if vlite is stable, i remove also the additional components.

so winxp for now....

7. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

7. Find Anything Fast With Search

They couldn't even develop that in-house. It is based on Desktop Seach by Lookout, a small company that was bought by Microsoft a few years (!) ago.

Lookout Desktop Seach, an Outlook add-in, works perfectly fine on XP and is still available. I have the latest version (1.3) if anyone wants it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...ee-16e5-4961-91b8-2200ba31ea37&displaylang=en

8. Mrkvonic

Hello,

Works like magic. 64-bit Linux on 64-bit AMD - speed of light.
    Opera, works beautifully. In fact, everything works well. Stable, secure, fun, free.

XP 64-bit was a poor attempt to try to enter the 64-bit market. Vista might be the first true 64-bit Windows. Linux 64-bit distros have been around for quite some time and proven worthy. Unix 64-bit has been with us from 1992. Windows 64-bit is only starting. The true usability of Windows 64-bit will be proven (or not) only in about 3-4 years.

Mrk

9. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

I think i will wait till next yr to upgrade to Vista. Hopefully as from next yr SP1 will be out (making it more stable and better compatibility with hardware) and also when more program become compatible with vista etc...

And like that i will buy a new computer from scratch i need new hardware and now the hardware that will be coming out hopefully will be better for vista users.

And also Vista would be much cheaper by next yr though doubt it :doubt:

10. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Mrk,

There's a reasonably interesting and well done article here: A Mac user switches to Vista, ultimately the author comes to the same conclusion after a bit.

Blue

11. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

As Microsoft just announce they will support WinXP Pro until 2014, I have lots of time ahead of me to learn Linux.:p

12. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2007
  13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

there is also this http://www.microsoft.com/windows/desktopsearch/default.mspx
    i have used it in the past and it works but i have no need for it since im neat with files and know where i keep them.

14. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Yes, I know. But Lookout is effective, elegant an inobtrusive - which cannot be said of Windows Desktop Search, I'm afraid.

15. Mrkvonic

Hello,

Blue, nice angle. Didn't anticipate it.

Frankly, most of the things he spoke about are outside my domain. I do no like - or rather even dislike - the shiny gadgetry that the industry wishes to clog down our throats. I'm a bit conservative that way.

In that regard, the article missed the most important things that i need.

Simple design, robustness, zero errors, zero incompatibilities, low system footprint. The ability to control multi-OS environment with Windows and Linux machines cooperating, the ability to use resources across different systems and platforms, virtualization etc. Then, let's not forget web development or numerical computation and other crazy things I do.

Currently, all of these can be achieved simply and elegantly with minimum effort and very little financial burden using vastly superior Linux distributions. Windows XP is also quite OK in THAT regard - which is highly negated by other aspects of MS policies, like awful security, shady practices, bad business model.

Combined, you get a win-win situation with Linux - especially if you use virtualization software. Which cannot be said the other way around. Just think about it. Close to a 1,000 dollars for Windows Vista and Office!!! That's crazy. You can buy a new computer for that money and install Linux and Open Office. You win by saving money, you win by promoting open software, you win by getting products that are developed for the users, no backdoors, no corporate machinations, no buggy security.

From most articles that I read, Vista will offer lots of colors and eye effects to the new user - badly because you will need super machines for that - while reducing customizability that you have today. Furthermore, freedom will be endangered by new counter-technology ideas like DRM and such, all of which limit development and innovation and are aimed at simply vampiring money out of people's pockets. An insult to the hard-working, honest customer.

I do not need any special features because as a savvy user, my stuff will have already been organized. Transfer emails? Transfer music? Anyone with a bit of analytic approach will have organized them in non-default folders and ready to go.

Desktop search / file syncing - again the same basic principles apply. If a person is not capable of making his own backups / searches, why should they be entitled to use the computer at all?

New security models - most of which are aimed at limiting the user from exploring his freedoms as a user - are another affront to anyone with enough skill to turn off the PC without breaking in cold sweat. They will add little to the real user security. In fact, they might even hamper people. If you have problems with IE being integrated into the OS, think how much more entangled Vista components will be.

On the positive side, there's the 100% customizable Linux. Constant development, constant improvement, constant updates. International community. Sharing of ideas and principles and mutual help. Rich distributions full of excellent, fully functional and usually superior software. All for free. And best of all, the utmost satisfaction you feel when you type a command in Terminal and it works beautifully...

Mrk

P.S. Anyone who wishes to test Vista: turn off the fancy graphics, go with Classic View, Classic Taskbar, no desktop background, see how appealing the Vista really is....

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i have already gone to the stuff under vista's new coat and its the same as xp
    take system properties for example and its the same as xp or even 98 and Me
    so its just a fat suit and secuirity features that should of been in XP when that shipped its around two years out of date and added more bloat.
    i am gonna get a dvd of suse linux 10.2 shipped or download the iso image from the open suse site and try that out.
    my lecurer at college prefers vista over Xp and he says he wont go back.
    ICT is his field and he prefers vista whats this world come to.
    he should be using linux on his laptop and not vista ugh.
    lodore

17. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

10 reasons not to switch:

Opinion link

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2007
  18. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Interesting, they leave out the one thing that I would switch to Vista for. DirectX 10.

19. TNT

TNT Registered Member

Looks like the MS marketing machine is paying well. :thumbd:

20. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

100 reasons to switch! - DX10, IE8, GPO, memory managment, security, ... .

Vista 3D seems to me like an expensive joke, especially in comparision with XGL.
    Transparent windows does not exist, there are just transparent edges of windows.

I say, that everyone, who does not know, what is Linux, should use Vista, at all cost.
    Vista will help secure the net from beginners (mallware), since they will be limited by UAC.

21. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    You do realize that UAC is nothing more than 2 x clicks you used to do in XP. Installing malware took 1 click or 2 at most in XP - now it takes 2 or 4 clicks. For noobs, the difference between good and bad software is nil. Effectively, it will take them 3-7 seconds more to get infected.
    Mrk

22. TairikuOkami

UAC will give people time to think, 3-7 sec is good enough to prevent a mistake.
    I still use to click without reading, UAC would help me, if it would work on my setup.

23. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I personally think it will be awhile before I try to do anything with Vista. I got to see the Microsoft event where they released Beta 1. I didn't like it then.

1) The interface is crap. I don't want transparent windows and a screwed up looking start menu. If I wanted it to look like a Mac, I would have bought a Mac. Heck, I even revert the XP interface back to the "classic" look because the fisher price interface is retarded. I am sorry there are so many people that have problems with the alt+tab shortcut. I personally don't, so having the dancing 3D windows pop up will annoying.

2) The sidebar, or whatever that little "Gadget" is called will be annoying. I keep my system running at a minimum at all times. I know where to find what I want, so I don't need some memory hogging process caching my most popular documents "Just in case" i need them.

3) I saw how overly annoying the multiple pop-up boxes are when tyring to install anything. I Demo and Test tons of software and just watching the guy try to do a simple install was ridiculous. If I am running as administrator to install something, I want it to immediately begin the install. Not ask me if I'm sure a dozen times. I wasn't even the one doing the demo and it irritated me. The UAC will work fine for many users who cannot read what they are installing, but for those of us that know what we are doing, it will be a pain.

24. TairikuOkami

I had the same experience, I tried Beta 1 and I told myself, never ever! :(
    In december, I have decided to wait until SP1 or SP3 for XP will be released.
    Then I have noticed, that vLite is out and I got my hands on Vista RTM as well.
    So I decided to give it a try. The first impression was terrible, I almost got rid of it.
    Then I created VistaLite and installed it, first difference: 15 min vs 35 min just for setup.
    When VistaLite booted, I could not believe it, it was like running completelly different OS.
    Vista Lite - 40 sec boot, Windows folder - 2,5 GB, runs smoothly even with Aero & effects.
    Vista default - 5 min boot, Windows folder - 6 GB, it still laged, even without Aero & effects.
    I have read, that Vista default lags even on high-end PCs like 3 GHz, 2 GB RAM, on my for sure.
    Overall Vista Lite takes 250 MB RAM and 150 MB pagefile, Vista default at least 2-3 times more.

1. Windows Vista theme without Aero is as fast as XP, maybe faster.
    2-3. Gadgets and UAC can be disabled with vLite along with other stuff.

I am not surprised, that people do not like Vista default, it is the worst OS I have ever seen.
    But if they would give a try to vLite, well lets just say, that XP would not last too long. [​IMG]

As for me, I can say it like this, if vLite would not exist, I would be running Ubuntu right now.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  25. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

I wont breakdown the 15 points but:

I have XP nicely secured, Vista's security settings are no better/worse than MY setup.
    All the eye candy stuff is well eye candy, doesn't really help productivity.
    I don't have new enough hardware to benifit from the better notebook or wireless networking or performance boost and I dont need parental control.

Nah, I will stick with XP for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.