Windows v Linspire OS

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by StevieO, Sep 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevieO

StevieO Guest

I had heard about this OS alternative to Windows before, but not for a while. The website looks very good with lots of info, and the product does sound appealing. I registered to try and DL the software to burn as an ISO to run off a CD as is suggested.

Even though it says you can DL by http i couldn't find the correct place in which to do so ? Except to DL a copy of Firefox, or all the other third party software. The alternative is via Bit Torrent, but dont have or want it thanks !

It's compatable with both Firefox and Opera and plenty of of other familar Apps etc.

. . .

Test drive Linspire Five-0 and our innovative CNR Service, your ticket to thousands of popular programs. There's no need to install anything on your hard drive. LinspireLive! boots and runs directly from your CD drive, and it won't affect your current system or settings.

Just follow the three simple steps below and you're on your way...

Once you've tried LinspireLive, you can purchase the complete version of Linspire Five-0 here

• Contains the complete Five-0 feature set

• Is easy-to-use & runs from a CD

• Doesn't remove or affect your old operating system
    – perfect for Windows users

• Lets you safely test hardware compatibility

Make sure you burn it as an ISO image.

http://www.linspire.com/cnr_linspirelive.php

Thousands of software titles to choose from here.

http://www.linspire.com/lindows_products_categories.php

Linspire will lead you just about anywhere in the digital world. And you'll be safe from the high costs and viruses that plague Microsoft Windows-based computers.

Linspire is packed with features: a full Internet suite; a complete office suite; digital photo and music managers; advanced notebook and wireless capabilities; and much more.

Best of all, Linspire will save you hundreds of dollars with the most advanced digital software delivery service in the world!

http://www.linspire.com/products_linspire_whatis.php?tab=features

Get Linspire Five-0 for only $20! (Regularly priced at $49.95)

http://www.tryoutlinux.com/specialoffer.html

. . .

If you've already tried it i'd be very interested to hear what your impressions Were/Are ?

Hopefully those who would like to try it might have more success with the DL than i did, and if so please post with the details.

In the meantime i'm going to email them to try and establish why i can't DL the Test Drive. If i get a copy i'll install it and see if it lives up to the claims and let you know.

All i managed to DL was a 50KB linspire_live_5.0.69.torrent file ?

StevieO

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i have been using it lately and it's good. are you in the UK? PC Pro has it as a cover CD ATM.

i also have the .iso image on another CD i can give you. i just have to get my STUPID CD player to work first.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2005
  3. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Hi iceni60,

Thanks for the info and the very positive remarks you made about it. That inspires me to try an locate a copy and try it out.

If you have any further info or experiences you could share about your continued use of it etc, then it would be nice to hear about them.

StevieO

4. ice60

ice60 Guest

that's the problem, i used it a couple of times while i was away. but, since getting home my CD player has broken, and it looks like a hardware problem, so i can't use the live CD. but, i can say it's worth downloading and using, it's really good. the other live CD i have has Knoppix installed, which is good too. i don't have the best memory, but, from my brief look at Linspire and Knoppix neither one stood out as being much better than the other. that's all i can say until i can get my CD drive working again.

5. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Hi iceni60,

When you get your CD drive working again, be sure to let me know how Linspire is panning out for you.

Thanks

StevieO

6. A free Live CD can be downloaded from the Linspire site via BitTorrent

7. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Linux definitly outpreforms Windows in many ways. But Linspire is not really one of the best distributions. You might better take a look at Ubuntu or Kubuntu.

8. Do you know where is AN IMAGE TUTORIAL about the installation of programs in linux? I know that in general the process is of three steps and to read the instructions that are into every packet to install, but I would like to see an IMAGE TUTORIAL.
    Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.