Windows Updates

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rico, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Seems every patch Tuesday, ( 8.1 64 bit), a cumulative update for IE 11, is available, & ultimately causes the other updates to be un done. Each attempt results in damage:

Which I repair with: dism\online\restore-health command
    all the windows updates Fix It tools fail to allow the updating of IE
    SFC /scannow no help
    dl then & install manually IE cumulative update, results in undoing update.

Now, I just hide the cumulative IE update

Note: It's always after the reboot, you see "please wait" 0% completed then maybe 95% complete, then could not install, undoing.

Note: This only happens for "IE cumulative update"

also no luck was windows features uncheck IE, reboot the check it.

Any Ideas? Thanks
    Rico

I'm trying to avoid the, repair in 8.1, which removes, all my stuff

2. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Just added to the list of failures. DL from M$ windows 8.1 .iso, file which is supposed to be like an in place repair of the OS, I then needed 57 windows updates, included in the 57 was "cumulative update for IE 11, where windows stumbled, & had to Undo changes. Hide all cumulative updates for IE 11 ( 3 of them) & the rest of updating went perfect.

3. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Maybe try the following command in an elevated command prompt: fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\

Then reboot.

Doing so fixed the errors that I was getting yesterday when trying to install Microsoft updates.

More information: Fsutil resource.

4. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Brian,

Over the last 3 - 4 days, I have maybe 25+ hours on the phone, & allowing all kinds of access.

Anyway today, the guy was going to dl log files to submit to level 3 tech at M$. Here's what I can remember observing.

C:\ (OS) checked a box, I believe called "inherit permissions" many many errors
    He then made an "Admin" account
    He then on this app "Snagit" renamed many files, I need to re-install tomorrow.
    From the months of trying to install updates for IE, I had 3 cumulative updates, all with dif. KB#'s
    Two installed OK <first hint> of progress
    Next in the admin account a 775 mb Kb was found installed ok
    next back in admin ONE cumulative update for IE 11 found, failed early, RED X
    programs/features untick IE, reboot to admin acct, re tick IE
    one IE update found fail RED X
    he then made a batch file: IPCONFIG release, renew, flush dns. The order may not be correct (me) but those things happened
    Then the last, IE update installed.
    Now checking things out what works etc.

Yesterday after the tech. ran the .iso file, supposedly reinstall OS, and all cumulative IE updates failed, I re-hide them updated and all was well.

Except windows security service would not start, claiming no permission, tried properties & password & location, tried M$ regedit, big long thing saved to notepad, for merging, fail no permission. Basically everything I tried "failed" & the flag in the tray, had a little red x. Many phone calls to M$, after they missed call back, promises. Walked away came back & the red x in the tray, was gone & service running. It's like it fixed itself, a miracle!

Now! I'll make a macrium backup image! Before it all goes south.

Thanks
    Rick

5. Rico

Rico Registered Member

New day! Well IE is gone, most all start menu items don't work, Itunes quite a few songs are now demanding password & paid for games won't work. Long list of problems. M$ promises a phone call, misses time frame, 4 hrs later I call them, 3 hrs explaining blah blah blah. The guy says don' worry, It will all be fixed, 4 hours later, it now needs life support.

6. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Have you also tried to run: Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.