Windows update

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by wshrugged, Jun 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wshrugged

wshrugged Registered Member

I've had nod32V3 installed for a short time.
    I tried to download from windows update (June security updates). Couldn't download-- got error:80072f78(windows code).Tried several times with hours between.
    Quickly tried download with Nod off---started working so I pulled internet connection.
    Added windows update to http excluded address.
    Retried windows update and it worked.
    Safe practice?
    Thank you

2. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

3. piranha

piranha Registered Member

never had problem here with windows update and i used nod32 since version 2.7

IMO, adress exclusion is not safe.

4. siljaline

v2.7 didn't have the so-called "feature" in it.

5. piranha

piranha Registered Member

notification with v4, i know.

Just talking about nod32 vs windows update web site, i never got problem since i used nod32.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I think the feature is a good effort for those that are not aware that keeping your operating system patched helps keep malware away from your system.

It is easily disabled.

7. siljaline

Noted, Ron.

8. wshrugged

Thank you for the interest. Had trouble with V3 and V4 of varying kinds- more with V4.
    Have gone back to 2.7...

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Perhaps the source of your "trouble" is a program conflict.

10. wshrugged

Perhaps, but I've spent 10's of hours trying to figure it all out. I've flat out run out of time for now. V 2.7 has performed almost perfectly for me.
    Is the protection in 2.7 unable to handle today's threats?
    If you're a relatively safe user , does V2.7 provide you with more than adequate protection?
    Is the footprint and system resources used by 2.7 exceptional?
    Please will somebody honestly answer?
    I understand ESET's many workers have been trying to upgrade their product, I hope they succeed.
    I can comprehend the need to modernize and eventually that will be the case for me whether I use ESET or another Antiviral. It better be damn close to V2.7's excellence. Support better be top notch as well.
    Thank you for your consideration

11. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I had a problem with windows update when I first started using v3 last year. I couldn't get some updates to install while some of the updates would install. I disabled
    protection for potentially unsafe and unwanted applications and never had any problems with windows update after doing that.

12. wshrugged

I would think you're opening yourself up too much with those settings. Where as if you put windows update in the excluded http option you're exposed only to that. This is regarding V3.

Thanks

13. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

That's possible but, my thinking was if nod would not let me install certain windows updates because it considered them potentially unsafe or unwanted then what else is it going to block me from installing in the future. I know what I install and I am a pretty good judge as to the nature of what I am installing. I dont want to turn my av off or try to make an exception every time I download and install a program. Would rather leave it turned on and have it only detect what it considers real malware in the setup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.