Windows Update

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ErikAlbert, Sep 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

After my thread "Windows Activation", my story continues ... each step I do, seems to be a problem. Pffft.

When I open this website, I get this message in the beginning, which sounds normal to me :
    After awhile, I get this message :
    Is the website "Windows Update" still working ? No matter what I do, it doesn't work. :)
    I use MS Internet Explorer version : 6.0.2900. Is that the problem ?

2. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Just updated fine,but had to download latest activeX version because of new site page,just look upper side of the screen,i got e message in a yellow in order to work properly had to download latest activeX version. FYI used FireFox.

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

No problem here , but I don't think IE6 is the problem. However I do use IE7.0.5730.11.

4. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I've had the same problems before, and kept trying and eventually was given a "time-sync" erroro_O WTF does that meano_O My clock was off by 5-6 secs.o_O Turn on auto-updates and magically the problem disappeared, without re-setting the clocks!!! Chances are the servers are too busy (to slow) to load the results and they time outo_O Either that or try MicrosoftUpdate instead of WidowsUpdate, for faster patching.

5. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

I have frequently had problems with the windows updaate site, and have never been able to work out why, I get my updates via the auto update facility set to inform my before downloading or installing. Rightly or wrongly, I have decided that it is some sort of ploy to force people to use auto update.

6. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

All set to manual,no problems here.

7. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Yeah Huupi, funny you should say that, have just given it a try and it's working fine on my desktop, so my issue seems to be intermittant, amybe as someone else said I have just hit it a few times when the severs were too busy.

8. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Could be worse! Last weekend they may have invalidated your copy of windows and given you the updates!

9. ErikAlbert

Thanks guys, I guess the server is too busy.
    At Technet there is a big file that updates WinXPproSP2, which is normally for IT people only. Can I use that one ?
    Does this file know that certain patches are already installed and that I have SP2 already ?

10. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

No wisdom,i'm just lucky and did update at the right time accidently i guess.

11. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Yes you can use that package. I can't answer your second question.
    You can also take a look here : http://blogs.microsoft.nl/tonykrijnen/archive/2007/01/18/9885.aspx

12. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Erik, remember your questions on benefits of AutoPatcher? Well, I beleieve you have your answers now... ;)

Cheers.

13. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Manual checks every once in a while, no problem.
    BTW, since you do have imaging software, you should not worry too much Erik, even if you miss the updates by a few days or weeks. I have an XP scapegoat that runs for months without updates and it does not complain.
    Mrk

14. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Which file? This?

15. ErikAlbert

Yes something like this. Will it hurt me, if I install this one, no matter what is already installed as winXP on my computer ?

16. ErikAlbert

Yes, I remember but I can't work with solutions that are terminated or will be terminated sooner or later. IMO terminating AP is just the beginning of Microsoft's new policy.
    I don't like Windows Update either, because I have to go on-line, the more I can install off-line, the cleaner my IMAGE will be.
    Software companies made it impossible to install your computer completely off-line.

17. lucas1985

That file is SP2 for offline install. You don't need it, you already have SP2 slipstreamed in your XP CD.

18. ErikAlbert

Me too, I don't even remember my last Windows Update. My frozen snapshot doesn't allow any change, so I reboot always in the same system partition.

19. ErikAlbert

Well this file only has to add stuff that isn't installed yet. I guess I have to try it myself. :)

20. lucas1985

(¿?)
    You've stated many times that you have an OEM Win XP SP2 CD. That file is SP2. You can use it to update a SP1/noSP XP installation or to build a Win XP SP2 CD.

21. ErikAlbert

Well my post was about a file on TECHNET, which is not the same as yours.
    I only need a file that updates my WinXPproSP2 with all the patches and ignores what is already installed.

22. lucas1985

Ohh, my mistake :)
    Perhaps you were talking about this file?

23. ErikAlbert

Something like that.
    I know that my original WinXPproSP2 isn't up-to-date and I bought it in March 2006. So there must have been alot of patches since then.
    I'm just looking for a file that brings my installed and activated WinXPproSP2 up-to-date as much as possible.
    If this file doesn't exist, I have to use Windows Update, but it doesn't work at this moment and it's not my favorite method either, because I have to go on-line.
    Frankly, I'm quite surprised that this file doesn't exist or is so hard to find at Microsoft's websites. I wouldn't like to install all these patches one-by-one. :)

24. lucas1985

SP2 was released in August 2004. So, there are lots of patches.
    RyanVM Update Pack can be used to slipstream hotfixes to a XPSP2 CD.
    This file doesn't exist at Microsoft's website. That's why Autopatcher and others were created.

25. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

It appears you've frozen out Microsoft.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.