Windows Update Yellow Shield Isn't Appearing

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sooflymami, Oct 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sooflymami

sooflymami Registered Member

My Windows Update yellow shield is not appearing..on this computer, the yellow shield did not appear yesterday when it had that 1 update and today is tuesday and I heard there are some things that are released and had my computer opened and the yellow shield is not still appearing on the tray next to the clock. It seems like it hasn't downloaded it yet? What should I do?

2. lifetweaker

lifetweaker Registered Member

First you should go to update.microsoft.com and download the latest updates.

As for troubleshooting why the yellow sheild isn't appearing, you can try the following:

For xp users:

Click start -> control panel -> automatic updates.

If automatic updates is on, make sure it isn't set to a time when your computer is off. If so change it to a time when your computer is on.

The same problem can happen if automatic updates is off. If so, turn it on.

For vista users:

click Start -> All Programs -> Windows Update.

In the left pane, click change settings.

Make sure it isn't set to a time when your computer is off. If so change it to a time when your computer is on.

The same problem can happen if automatic updates is off. If so, turn it on.

3. sooflymami

Will you send me the step by step screen shots and guide me where to go in order to install the updates when I go there?

4. lifetweaker

Go to update.microsoft.com

Note: you must visit this website in internet explorer or you will get this message:

message.jpg

Once you get to the windows update site you should see the following screen:

update.jpg

Click express to see the high priority updates i.e. security updates.

You should get another screen telling you that windows is checking for the latest updates for your computer.

Note: You may be asked to run an active x control. If so click on the information bar and click "install active X control" Please be patient while windows checks your computer.

You should get another screen telling you what updates are needed to be installed on your computer. If there are updates available, select install. Windows will then install updates to your computer.

install.jpg

5. sooflymami

So do I click the Express button right when I go there and install everything that gives me on the list?

6. lifetweaker

Yes...You can review the list if you want, It's only going to contain the high priority updates--which is what installs during automatic updates anyway.

7. sooflymami

I went to that link you gave me and just clicked the Express button and this is what showed up..I don't know where to go next or what to do. I'm confused. All I can see is the SP3..I do not see the new release updates from today.

Attached Files:

8. lifetweaker

You just click "Install updates" and windows will install them. The hidden updates are updates that you told windows not to install. Maybe intentionally or unintentionally. To restore them click "restore them now."

9. sooflymami

Do I still click "install updates" button shown in the photo I posted even if I don't want SP3 to install? I only want the updates from today only.

10. lifetweaker

If you don't want sp3 installed then don't click install. There's a great chance the updates from today did install without your acknowledgment.

Click start -> control panel -> add or remove programs -> tick "show updates." From here, page down and take a screenshot of the updates that were installed.

Note: Updates are listed under "Windows XP software updates" which you will see when you scroll down.

11. sooflymami

When I went to automatic updates it said Sunday at 6:00AM..is that why the yellow shield hasn't been appearing? I'm confused because it used to show on tuesdays too. and for example, if i set it to "everyday at 10pm" and if i have the computer turned off and then turn on my computer after 10PM, would the yellow shield still appear so i can just do this automatically or no?

12. lifetweaker

Yes that is why if your computer isn't on at Sunday 6:00AM

It could have been set to everyday or someone could have changed it.

No, your computer must be on at the time it is set to download and install the updates.

You can take a look at the following article from Microsoft help and support on "How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.