Windows Update vs. Microsoft Update for Windows XP

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Devinco, Jul 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

What are the benefits (if any) of using Microsoft Update instead of Windows Update?

So far the only thing that I noticed was that MS Update combines the Office Updates with the OS updates.
    MS Update appears to be voluntary.

Which is better and why?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

as of now I believe it is just a personal preference as to the one you use.

bigc

3. Devinco

Thanks BigC! :)

4. Devinco

In the end, I decided on Microsoft Update for my friend's computer as they will be using MS Office. For the average person, the less updating actions they have to take to keep patched, the better. MS Update allows you to update MS Office and Windows at the same time. And because it can patch MS Office with automatic updates as well, that is the way to go.

I'd rather choose what gets installed and what doesn't (configurable in Automatic Updates), but the vast majority of critical security updates just generically say something like: "this flaw will allow a hacker to gain complete control over your computer." While allowing automatic updates to auto install critical updates will allow a few unnecessary items in like WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage), it will keep the OS updated and reduce confusion.

5. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I got the impression that Win Update, as such, no longer existed. If I enter its addy, I now get redirected to the MS Update page.

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

It still exists....but if you also have the MUWebcontrol ActiveX control(MS Update) installed it will over ride the WUWebcontrol ActiveX control(Windows Update). You would need to select Change settings at the Microsoft Update site and select Disable Microsoft Update software and let me use Windows Update only....which would remove the MUWebcontrol ActiveX control and resort you back to Windows Update only.

7. Devinco

Thanks Bubba!

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I want to ask if I disable automatic updates, say for about three months without doing any manual updates, and then after 3 months period I turn on automatic updates, then windows will update itself automatically for the last three months patches as well or I have to cover that period manually?
    Thanks.

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

After that long it would probably have to validate your comp again and then you would be able to update again. It should cover the time you were not updating.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks, so it will be done without any user interaction I think.

11. Devinco

Yes, if you have automatic updates set to auto download and install.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.