Windows update question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by anais4uk, Apr 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anais4uk

anais4uk Registered Member

This question may sound dumb to most of u out there but then again maybe it will help others like me. I really havent got a clue with this one. :doubt:

When you update your windows os with all the updates do you just leave the earlier downloads intact or does the new updates cover them? Are the new updates just add ons?

The reason I ask this question is because sooner or later all your hard drive is going to be full of windows updates because most of them take up quite a chunk of space.

Look forward to your replies. :)

Anais

2. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Good question!

I occasionally see "there is a newer update available..." I'd like to think it would delete old stuff if no longer needed. I am pretty sure some stuff goes away. I have noticed fewer updates are listed in "add and remove programs" then in the past. Is that because fewer can be removed, fewer are there, or my O/S is taking a header? You've got questions, we've got questions!

- HandsOff

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Possibly there's an answer buried away somewhere at the MS site -- or better yet, in someone's mind here. But at the very least, I would hope that any "cumulative" updates/upgrades would delete or overwrite any included individual updates that you'd previously installed, including in the add/delete listing.

4. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

5. HandsOff

...I hope Jupiter Web Services is not "bad jupiter"...

That about deleting the XP Update's uninstall files sounds like just the sort of bold move that would bring glory to an unknown struggling computer neophyte such as myself...I think I will give it a try!

- HandsOff

6. anais4uk

anais4uk Registered Member

Good link Peaches4u, That more or less answers my questions..........Did u delete the uninstall files as stated HandsOff? "uninstall files that you'll find in the Windows folder all starting "$NTUninstall.." take up room - they can be safely deleted" and if so is everything running ok?

After asking the above question I came across these links http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_hotfix_backup.htm
    http://www.mcse.ms/message601307.html

Regards anais

Last edited: May 5, 2004
  7. HandsOff

anais4uk-

I haven't gotten around to it yet. I have been extremely busy lately, er, researching pinball computer simulations, and so everything else has had to get bumped down on the priorities list...just not enough hours in the day...

- HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.