Windows update Problems

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Beefcarver, Aug 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beefcarver

Beefcarver Registered Member

windows 98SE windows update. I goto windows update and it scans for updates it says 2 critical updates found it says its downloading and installing updates and says successfull but then I check again and it still finds and wants the updates. I try to download and install them manually but they wont install.

It happens over and over. I think an active x control update class has been
    changed or altered do to a back orifice virus using freshbind. any ideas on
    how to make windows update function properly again?

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Have you thought about reinstalling IE6 SP1 HERE.

Or maybe reinstalling DirectX 9.0c HERE

I don't know if that would help, but it's a start :)

3. culla

culla Guest

did you restart before checking for updates again?

4. Beefcarver

yes I did restart alot b4 checking again... Capp I will try to do the reinstalls and
    will post results thankyou so much.

5. Beefcarver

well it runs faster but still wants the same 2 critical updates.
    security update for outlook express 6 service pack 1 (KB837009)
    823559 security update for microsoft update. I click install after the scan it comes up installed successfull. then i recheck it and it still finds the same 2.
    also it says v4.windows update is there a v5 and how do i update this?

I dont use outlook express and i dont surf with IE i use netscape.

does my outlook express need updaTE??

6. mikeydepa

mikeydepa Guest

I have the same exact issue with my 98 SE - it constantly wants me to update for these same two patcheso_O?

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

8. Beefcarver

went to liink downloaded successfully it forced a restart. went to windows update and it still asks for it. clicked install it says successfull then rechecked
    windows update still wants. my fault for using older computer and not upgrading to XP. should I try to install all the security updates on that page?
    maybe something is amiss and it cant hurt it any can it? I will try that.

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Aren't the security updates you have already downloaded listed in the control panel? It's been a while since I used Win98. :D

10. Beefcarver

They are just now appearing as listed in the control Panel as I go along downloading and system restarting. Let me do all updates and post back. Im confident this is the answer. I will post shortly.

11. Beefcarver

It appears to me a hacker got thru threw a backdoor and altered the security so they can further attack my system. I did numerous virus scans and am virus and spyware and malware free. Im repatching my whole windows and IE....

12. Beefcarver

someone had plans for me alot of my patches were gone. im half way thru.

13. Beefcarver

All Patched up. windows update still wants the 2 updates still and still the same problem. and same as above any more ideas?? even after manual install and restarts.

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

15. Beefcarver

Nope. I did find a link to email microsoft suppoprt I will ask them and will let you know. thanx again Ron... You mean so much to me always there to help.

16. Beefcarver

they want money so thats out.

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You are updated. If I see anything helpful on your problem, I'll let you know.

18. Beefcarver

ok thankyou. someone please close this thread for now thanks.

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

It might be better to leave it open. Someone may have the right answer to post. :)

20. wherethebeef

wherethebeef Guest

fired-up a newly re-formated win98se and went to Windows Update.......download 13 or so MB of patches without any problem using V4........(no mention of a V5 ?)
    Refused two updates..one to install IE6 and the another to install something or other that tells M$ that you are using Windows (DUH, why the hell would I be updating Windows Patches if it were not a Windows operating system)

DirectX 9c "pretended" to install but did not...oh, it showed that "something" was being downloaded and installing (that little 300b program that afterwards downloads directx 9c) but no directx.
    went to another M$ website for DirectX 9c an M$ said I would have to install that verification tool......like hell, M$ already has enough monitors inside its OS.....so off I went any download DirectX 9c by other means
    so now everything is fully patched and updated an never ever again will the computer have to go to that nasty update website.
    one thing is for sure, my computers will go un-patched if required to install that verification tool by M$. In fact I am seriously thinking of removing the firewall and other security programs an allow the computers to get infected and hacked......an leave them that way until M$ gets enough heat and stops withholding security if that verification tool is not installed (but will leave this subject for another time)

All in all had no problems at the M$ update site except the DirectX thing

21. Beefcarver

I ran direct x diagnostics and everything is normal and working so its not the direct x. Im going to shut down my AV Firewall and other apps and see if the downloads go thru.

22. WheretheBeef

WheretheBeef Guest

DON"T TURN OFF YOUR FIREWALL.....never turn off your firewall....surveys show that on average a computer withou a firewall gets hack in about 12 minutes on line....Can't recall where that survey was so just know that its true.

Think about it....everybody else has their firewalls on an still gets their updates. Beefcarver don't harm your own computer by opening it wide to attack........

23. Beefcarver

ok wont do that. I been playing around with diagnostic tools system configuration utility, system file checker, registry checker etc. Im improving my system things are getting back up to speed but the update problems still there.

24. Beefcarver

also A2 squarred found a file called avsniff.dll which it removed so i believe i've
    been hacked.

25. Beefcarver

got it and fixed it. I had to look for the 2 updates in my control Panel and click to remove then go back to windows update scan for and reinstall the updates.
    I dont know why but its all patched up thanks to Ronjor for all the help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.