Windows Update not working

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Spray-on Dust, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spray-on Dust

Spray-on Dust Registered Member

Hi.

I've been checking Windows Update for the past week or so and haven't been able to get the page to show up. When I go through Tools then Windows Update, I recieve a blank screen with a little white box with a yellow ! warning symbol down at the lower left-hand corner. Next to this it says "Done". When I double-click on this icon, it brings up a dialogue box that has that same yellow exclamation point warning that reads "Problems with this Web page might prevent it from being displayed properly or functioning properly. In the future, you can display this message by double-clicking the warning icon displayed in the status bar." Then there is a "Show Details" of the error option and when I click on it, it says
    Line: 72
    Char: 0
    Error: Automation Server can't create object
    Code: 0
    URL: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

I've tried putting my security settings on Medium Low and that doesn't work. I don't know what else to try.

Thanks.

Spray-on Dust

2. polyglory

polyglory Registered Member

I have just completed a clean install up to SP2 and I am sent to the above url and then it does nothing.

I could do with some guidance as well, it looks like wn old Url?, different screen on the one I have upstairs. :eek:

3. dog

dog Guest

Hi Spray-on Dust, ;)

I'm assuming you're using XP.

Make sure you're accessing Windows Update with this URL - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us

As to the issue at hand ... make sure you haven't disabled the windows update service, with something like SafeXP, etc.

-Or- if you've used a site like BlackViper - http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
    or OverClockers - http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/windows_xp_services.php ... to tweak your services config. (services.msc) ... you must re-enable, and re-start both Automatic Updates & BITS - Background Intelligent Transfer Service to use the update site. (both services run under svchost) ... once the update is complete, stop both services and disable them again.

HTH, ;)

Steve

4. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Hi Spray-on Dust
    Following dog"s good advice also do make sure you are using INTERNET explorer cookies enabled as the windows update site will only work with that and not with other browsers

Regards

5. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Hi all,

I have automatic updates disabled and using Firefox
    The way I update XP is with MS baseline security analyzer, which can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsahome.mspx

MBSA runs on:

Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 systems

MBSA will scan for common system misconfigurations in the following products:

Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003

Internet Information Server (IIS), SQL Server, Internet Explorer, Office

MBSA will also scan for missing security updates for the following products:

Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003

IIS, SQL Server, Internet Explorer, Office, Exchange Server, Windows Media Player, Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC), MSXML, Microsoft Virtual Machine, Commerce Server, Content Management Server, BizTalk Server, Host Integration Server

Attached Files:

6. wolfpack

wolfpack Guest

I noticed that using Bugoff was stopping me from being able to reach Windows update also in a similar way to what you described. I just disabled all its protection and then I could again reach WU.

7. wolfpack

wolfpack Guest

Thought I would add this just so there won't be any confusion, to DISABLE the protection in Bugoff you need to click the ENABLE buttons, not the DISABLE buttons. The disable buttons actually enable the protection in Bugoff. I hope i'm not confusing anyone here, that's just the way Bugoff is setup.

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, for WU to work you need to have Automatic Updates and Background intelligent Transfer Service set to Automatic, under the Statup Type heading/column. you can check by going Start>Run>then in the box write - services.msc.

Also, you could check your firewall isnt blocking it. it isn't called windowsupdate, but, Generic Host Process for Win32 Services.

and you can put the address in Internet Explorer's trusted zone. :)

9. Spray-on Dust

Spray-on Dust Registered Member

Alright good news!

Got windows update working again and it looks like BugOff was the culprit. I just enabled the settings in BugOff and WU is back to normal.

I guess I didn't need this program all along since I use Firefox as my main browser. So from now on the settings in IE stay on high unless I'm visiting the WU site.

Thanks to everyone, especially Wolfpack. :)

Peace.

Spray-on Dust

10. wolfpack

wolfpack Guest

Glad I could help Spray-on Dust.

I think you really need to be cautious when using any programs like Bugoff, secureit, safexp, Qwikfix, XP antispy, WWDC, unpnp, shootthemessenger, ect....because even though they are helpful programs, they can make all kinds of changes to Windows, and unless you really know what your doing, you may not be aware that they are causing a problem and you may almost go crazy trying to figure it out, when all along it is one of these programs causing the trouble.

So it's a very good idea to make sure you remember that you have any of these programs, where they are on your computer, and any protection you have enabled with them incase you have any problems in the future. Best wishes. :)

11. Can't tell

Can't tell Guest

Hi guys

Can anyone tell me which, among the current 13 patches released a couple of days ago, are the crucial ones, in other words, which one does what ?

Also, I don't have IExplorer installed, and don't want to allow ActiveX on my system ever again, so one might say I'm gonna have problems updating through Windows update...

Is there a way to connect to the available updates one url at a time, read the description of what each patch intends to do, decide for myself which one I do need, and then download each chosen one, just like any other executable on the web?

I recall one could do this a few years back, but dunno if still the case, nor how...

Thanks

12. Can't tell

Can't tell Guest

13. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Have a look here mate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.