Windows Update keeps on nagging me

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by newbino, Sep 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newbino

newbino Registered Member

I have Windows Update set so that it will notify me of new updates but not download them, allowing me to make that choice myself.
    When I choose *not* to download an update, WU displays a hide this update box [translating form localized version] that, if ticked, promises not to advise me any longer of its existence.
    The problem is that this promise is purely theoretical and the same updates that I have said "no" to keep on been notified over and over.
    Does anybody have a workaround for this?
    thanks!!

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Are you sure its the same update? I know with the Malicious Software Removal Tool you have to block the version for each month.

3. newbino

Yes, pretty sure as it is a repetitive behaviour. The interesting thing is that over time the updates proposed decrease till they eventually disappear.
    Eg (purely fictional example):
    7 updates suggested - 2 installed 5 not [selecting option hide them in the future]
    a couple of hours later, the same 5 updates previously refused pop up gain [select option hide them in the future]
    a couple of hours later, 3 of the 5 updates previously refused pop up gain [select option hide them in the future]
    next day, 2 of the 3 updates previously refused pop up gain [select option hide them in the future]
    and so on till they don't appear any longer.
    This happens while working on the same system, ie not swtiching between snapshots or rolling back.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Why not just turn off the update notification. THen the problem goes away.

Pete

5. newbino

Pete, I shall certainly do that as a last resort, on the other hand I appreciate the reminder that updates are waiting for me rather than having to chase them...
    :rolleyes:

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Windows updates regurarly monthly, every second Tuesday. I also have registered with a website I think it's called US CyberAlert which sends me an e-mail whenever there are real threats and updates are necessary, but unfortunately I can't give you a link as I delete the warnings as they arrive.

Maybe a google search or somebody can help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.