Windows Update Icon Keeps Disappearing

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sooflymami, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sooflymami

sooflymami Registered Member

When I start my computer, the Windows Update Yellow Shield appears in the tray next to the clock is, but then when I try to click on it, it disappears. And yesterday, it appeared too and it said 0% and then it disappeared later in few seconds. This is happening to both of my computers..It just disappears. Last time I didn't want to download the SP3 so I just clicked on the Windows Update Shield and then unchecked SP3-clicked close-put a check in the box where it said "do not show me these updates again" and clicked close. I want the Windows Update Yellow Shield to show up because I just want it to show that automatically. Do you think it should show up again and should actually stay instead of disappearing?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  2. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

YES, Sooflymami.

Look on your Services: Windows Update is it on Automatic and Started ?

3. sooflymami

Yes, it already is

4. LenC

LenC Registered Member

5. sooflymami

I canceled SP3 last time, the day when my computer kind of froze. I did that after I restarted my computer since the computer was freezing. Do you think the yellow shield keeps disappearing because I pressed down the power button when I restarted my computer and then canceled SP3 after that or do you think its them thats having problems? I really hope it will eventually appear and will stay.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

sooflymami, since yesterday's update (I downloaded and installed all 5 updates), my yellow shield keeps appearing and disappearing whenever I boot up my PC. I did have the chance to click it and it seems that the Daylight Savings Time Update (KB955839) is the one that's causing this abnormality. Your SP3 update cancellation has nothing to do with this and only time will tell if the shield appears again.

I noticed that the monthly Malicious Software Removal Tool was not included yesterday, yet it's sitting online so I'm waiting until the yellow shield pops up to install it.

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

sooflymami, my shield has just appeared with the MSRT notice only, so yours should be appearing soon. Just FYI.

8. sooflymami

Oh okay..today the yellow shield showed up on my computer and finally installed them, but it hasn't appeared on my other computer yet.

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Give it time; it will!

10. sooflymami

It finally appeared and updated 2 days ago :)

11. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Congratulations! :thumb:

12. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Congratulations for a 2 days' wait for Windows Update to show up o_O

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

sooflymami has had problems with that PC before, however, as I read the post, the "2 days ago" means December 12th, not 2 days for the update to appear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.