Windows Update error 80070422

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by roger_m, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

For the last few weeks I have been unable to use Windows Updates, on Windows 7 64 bit. When I check for updates, after a while I get error code 80070422 - Windows Update encountered an unknown error.

I have done every possible thing I can think of to try and fix this including:

Running sfc/scannow (No you do no need a space before the slash, try it)

chkdsk /f

Running the Microsoft Fix-It for Windows Update.

Using Tweaking.com Windows Repair (All in One). This did not fix the problem and on the repairs strangely stops my Slepinir Browser from running.

Following steps listed online for fixing problems with Windows Update.

I tried doing an Inplace Upgrade of Windows 7 in an attempt to repair Windows. Initially it did not work, but after running ComboFix I was able to complete the inplace upgrade, but this did not help.

Ran RefreshhPC.

Did a repair with Ultra Virus Killer.

I have also ran a batch file to re register dll files. Tweaking.com Windows Repair does this too, but I wanted to try it separately.

Tried using Reimage to fix my problems, but it stops working shortly after starting to repair my computer.

I have also used several registry cleaners. Yes, I do realise that the chance of them fixing anything is close to zero, but I have only used ones which I know give zero false positives, so at least I know they are not causing any harm.

I guess the next logical step is to reinstall Windows. However, I try to do by best to never reinstall Windows no matter what problems I have, so I want to persevere and try and fix my Windows Update problem instead of starting from scratch.

Any suggestions on what I can try?

Edit: I deleted the backup files from the Windows 7 SP1 installation long ago, otherwise I would try uninstalling and the reinstalling SP1. I wish you could install a service pack again on a PC it is already installed on like you could with XP, as it is handy for fixing problems.

2. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

3. roger_m

Also I will add that I have every reason to believe the computer is virus and trojan free.

I have Internet Explorer 9 installed, and have tried manually downloading and installing both IE 11 and 10, since obviously I can't update IE from Windows Update, but in both cases the installation fails.

4. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Did microsoft fixit say it failed to repair the windows update or did it say it was successful?.Also try resetting internet explorer settings>advanced>reset.
    Also make sure IE is your default browser ,when performing updates until everything works...it seems to cause update problems sometimes if it isnt (at least in my experience)You can also try reinstalling the service pack ,download here.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5842

5. roger_m

Fix-It did say it was successful. I have done a reset on Internet Explorer, and it is the default browser currently.

Under Vista and later versions of Windows, you can't reinstall a service pack. The only option is to do an uninstall then reinstall. I can't do this as I delete the backup files a long time ago.

6. stackz

stackz Registered Member

Press Windows key + R to bring up the Run box and enter services.msc
    Are Windows Update and Background Intelligent Transfer Service listed?

7. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

8. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

9. roger_m

10. roger_m

Yes they are both there and enabled.

11. Cybernaught

Cybernaught Registered Member

I don't mean to insult you when I say this but, have you tried making sure the Date/Time was correct? I've racked my brain for answers a couple of times because the Date/Time wasn't correct for updates to run. It sounds like you've tried everything else though...

12. roger_m

13. roger_m

Yes I've done that and the needed services are runnning.

I'm not sure, but am going to reboot and try it now.

Yes.

14. roger_m

I tried to run Windows Update from Safe Mode with Networking, but it would launch. I tried opening it multiple times and nothing happened at all.

For some reason Baidu PC Faster was always wanting to use it's own updater instead of Windows Update - this prevents Windows Update working. I was unable to turn this feature off - I don't know why, so I uninstalled PC Faster, but even after a reboot I still get the same error from Windows Update.

15. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

I wouldn't simply check to see if they are running but configured as detailed on there.

To Reset Windows Updates and Reregister Windows Update Components

Launch Command Prompt with Administrator privileges and enter-in the below stuff.

net stop bits
    net stop wuauserv
    Del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat"
    sc.exe sdset bits D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
    sc.exe sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
    cd /d %windir%\system32
    regsvr32.exe /s atl.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s urlmon.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s mshtml.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s shdocvw.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s browseui.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s jscript.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s vbscript.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s scrrun.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s msxml.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s msxml3.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s msxml6.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s actxprxy.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s softpub.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s wintrust.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s dssenh.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s rsaenh.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s gpkcsp.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s sccbase.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s slbcsp.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s cryptdlg.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s oleaut32.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s ole32.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s shell32.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s initpki.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s wuapi.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s wuaueng1.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s wucltui.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s wups.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s wups2.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s wuweb.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s qmgr.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s qmgrprxy.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s wucltux.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s muweb.dll
    regsvr32.exe /s wuwebv.dll
    regsvr32 /s wudriver.dll
    netsh winsock reset
    net start bits
    net start wuauserv
    bitsadmin.exe /reset /allusers

16. roger_m

They are configured correctly.

I've already done that - on one of the links posted earlier I downloaded a batch file the same as that and ran it.

17. Phant0m

This error is directly linked to Windows Update service or an dependant service not running or functioning properly. You might want to have another look on that MS page and your services area.

18. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

My recent Windows Update error (not sure if it's the same error number that you have, but I recall it was a problem with the Windows Update service not starting) was fixed by changing whether Windows updates automatically to a different setting, exiting Windows Update, then going back into Windows Update and changing the setting back to your old setting.

Do you have an older System Restore point you could go back to? Or better yet, an older image you can restore? If so, I'd recommend doing that, then trying the things that I mentioned in my two posts again.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  19. roger_m

I have found that the Software Licensing service is missing. When I get a chance I will copy it from another Windows 7 install as it seems I can't download it from anywhere.

20. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

21. roger_m

No it doesn't work on Windows 7 and their is no equivalent Fix-It for Windows 7 either. However I think my problems are due to the missing Software Licensing service.

22. Phant0m

Not in Windows 7. I think it is now known as Software Protection.

23. Phant0m

24. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

You can try resetting windows firewall to its default settings. Go to control panel. Under administrative tools select windows firewall with advanced security and restore defaults. Restart system and see if it fixes the issue. For me this method solved windows updates issues quite a few times :)

25. roger_m

I do have the Software Protection service.

Are you running Windows 7? If so can you run services.msc and see if like nme you don't have the Software Licensing Service?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.