Windows Update / Background intelligence transfer service

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by dondelmar, Aug 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dondelmar

dondelmar Registered Member

I am not able to do the latest windows update because the BackgroundIntelligenceTransferService is not running. I get an error when I go to services.msc and try to manually start it.
    I don't usually run IE (use Mozilla), but need to use IE for the updating

This is the first update Windows update I have tried since installing NOD32 and ZoneAlarm.
    Any relation?? I tried to enable the BITS with ZoneAlarm disabled and NOD32 virus turned off - same results.

My system is: Windows XP (SP2); Spyware Blaster; Ad-aware; Spybot.
    I have also installed and uninstalled MS Anti-Spyware Beta and Ewido. (No problems, I just didn't think they were doing anything for me that I wasn't covered for.)
    I have ran CCleaner and Registry Mechanic.

I haven't noticed any problems until this, altho I don't normally use IE. I also have the google toolbar fir IE.

Any ideas?

2. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Do you have the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service disabled by chance?

If u go into eventviewer, can you tell us of any errors related to the BITS service so that we may further troubleshoot?

EDIT: Also do you have the Automatic Updates service Enabled? If not, try setting that to Automatic and then Start the service. Then try setting the BITS service to Manual.

Then see if you can get to Microsoft Update via IE

HTH,

Jag

Last edited: Aug 12, 2005
  3. dondelmar

Automatic Update is Started/Automatic
    BITS is set to Manual
    RPC and RPC Location Started/Automatic

and I still can't get BITS started.

EventViewer / System shows ERROR, "Service Control Manager", Event=7024: BITS terminated with service-specific error 2147942402 0x80070002

I don't know what this means.

Thanks

4. Trooper

You might want to try this.

Also review this

And you may want to try re-registering these dll's as well.

Start > Run > regsvr32 wuapi.dll > OK
    Start > Run > regsvr32 wups.dll > OK
    Start > Run > regsvr32 wuaueng.dll > OK
    Start > Run > regsvr32 wucltui.dll > OK
    Start > Run > regsvr32 atl.dll > OK
    Start > Run > regsvr32 MSXML3.dll > OK

Reboot and then try to go to WU once again.

We can try a few more things like re-installing the BITS service. What I am trying to avoid having you do is a complete uninstall/reinstall of SP2. I have seen this problem before and have had success with the above. However, on a few rare occasions an uninstall/reinstall of SP2 was required.

Keep us posted,

Jag

5. dondelmar

Thank you for all of your input. You really put me on the right track. I tried your suggestions (except for the re-install of SP2) and still wasn't able to get BITS started. I found the following recommendation in "Discussions in Windows Update" and it worked for me.

regsvr32 oleaut32.dll
    regsvr32 jscript.dll
    regsvr32 vbscript.dll
    regsvr32 msxml.dll

regsvr32 softpub.dll
    regsvr32 wintrust.dll
    regsvr32 initpki.dll
    regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

A reboot was recommended, but I tried starting the BITS without it, and it worked fine. I went to WU and got them installed.

From what I was reading it seems it was my uninstalling/stop using NORTON AV (not NOD32) that creates this problem?

Many thanks again. I hope this will be of some use to you. I don't know what the dll's mean, and I don't know which one did the trick.

6. Trooper

You are very welcome. I had a feeling that it had to do with Norton. The other times I have seen this behaviour was when NAV was installed.

Glad to hear you are all sorted out now. :D

Helping was a pleasure.

Regards,

Jag

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.