windows to linux, moving program settings over?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by chrome_sturmen, Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

hey guys, for those of you that've moved from windows to linux, did you have any luck, copying/moving over your program settings/configurations, or did you have to set up things from scratch? a more general question i guess, is is it even possible? examples - rss feeds from aggregator , browser configuration, email accounts from email client, etc.

how about experiences with wine, running applications and occasional games?

2. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

I started everything from scratch. I don't know how many settings you can transfer. I guess if your browser supports cloud you could move over those settings (i know chrome does). Also you can back up Thunderbird and restore it into Linux.
    But for me personally I have simply backed up bookmarks from Firefox in Windows and restored them in Linux. I didn't have any emails to transfer because I opened new offshore email account and I use Thunderbird with it.

3. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I was able to transfer my Thunderbird and Firefox profiles directly over without any issues. I still need to see how things go with my Virtualbox VMs and some other things that I haven't had time yet to migrate over. I'm not expecting any issues though.

My experience with Wine has been very good so far with applications. It has run everything I tried without any issues. I'll be replacing those apps with Linux ones eventually, but it has been nice to be able to use them until I do that.

4. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

What about Itunes running in wine? Has anyone had any luck with it?

5. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

No problems or very small ones (usually fonts) for programs run through wine and no problems with programs native.

Games run through wine are mostly a waste of CPU cycles.

I run in wine Foobar2000, streamWriter, Free Download Manager and notepad++. Games: Torchlight 2.
    Dual windows/linux: LibreOffice, RSSOwl, Calibre, Serviio, BleachBit, Audacity, Jitsi, KeePass, Wuala, AeroFS, SMPlayer, Steam, TF2, Counter Strike.

I sync settings with Wuala.

6. chrome_sturmen

what do you mean sync settings?

some years ago, i was often reinstalling windows and got tired of having to reconfigure my heavily customized programs, so i learned with alot of labor, how to copy settings for programs over to fresh installs, so for some years i havent had to reconfigure programs that meant anything to me, no matter how many times i reinstalled windows. of course some programs have backup config options, but im referring to those that don't. surely of course this wouldnt work going to linux as its a different platform.
    for instance my opera browser is highly customized, but i havent had to start from scratch with it for a few years and have carried my configuration over across machines, time and states
    i reckon though id have to set it up from scratch on linux*puppy* :'( :'( *puppy*

7. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

Many programs keep their stuff in certain folders.

RSSOwl, for example, is keeping data files in C:\Users\USER\.rssowl in Windows and in home/USER/.rssowl in Ubuntu. So I sync these 2 folders using Wuala. This way my feeds and settings are always synced.

8. chrome_sturmen

unrelated question here, but can you drag and drop shortcuts to folders on the "start menu" to make cascading menus on linux? i use that a good bit on windows.

9. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

KDE has it ,try OpenSUSE versions and see how it goes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.