Windows SteadyState for XP

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ronjor, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

chaney was overheard saying:
    Maybe, but what of the average computer user? Flipping the switch on services is not something they would know about, and obscure enough that us geeks missed it...

Not bashing MS mind you, but they should revisit this as a usability update...

Mike

2. chaney

chaney Registered Member

Oh, one more thing... if you DO do this performance enhancing trick, know that it becomes a b0tch to turn off the disk protection. But, to do so follow this EXACTLY. Login as "Administrator" ONLY, run the SteadyState UI, and turn off the disk protection, reboot. Log back in as "administrator", go to the service control panel, (follow exactly this order) Set the startup type as "automatic" and then hit apply. THEN start the service... your system will reboot 2 times and your golden! If you don't set it as automatic FIRST and hit apply, when it reboots it will lock you out of ALL of your accounts and still continue to run disk protector. Trust me, I did that and I had to reformat... not fun.

-Chris

P.s. You break your crap, it your fault, not mine, I take no liablity. Blah, blah, blah.

3. chaney

chaney Registered Member

BTW the service I'm refering to in the previous post is the "Windows SteadyState" service. Sorry. Oh, and mike... yeah you're right, but this is a more advanced forum for security persons. This is not a MS authorize fix, this is something I came up with because I REALLY want to deploy this on my next ghost image.

-Chris.

4. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I was skimming around the MS Steady State site and came across the read me. It did say that the boot up slowdown was a 'known issue'. I wonder if that mean s that their working on it, or they just know about it and don't give a hoot. Anybody got a coin to flip? Heh. I do hope they fix the problem though, it would make a nice machine to test software and other stuff.

Cheers, innerpeace

5. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

they just know about it and don't give a hoot.

That's a known microsoft pattern didn't you know. :cool:

6. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Lol, I'm hoping for once that $M creates a solid program to protect their not so solid/vulnerable OS. It would be the right thing to do. Keeping my fingers crossed that they fix the boot up speed while still laughing.

On a serious note. I installed the Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit a while back and decided it was a bit over my comfort level so I uninstalled it. When I check Paragon Disk Manager, I show 7.8GB of unallocated space. Is this related? Is it safe to claim back? Also note that I didn't created this unallocated space which the SCT requires. That was why I uninstalled it because I didn't know how and didn't have Paragon yet. In other words, I have know idea how the unallocated space got there and what the heck created it. I'm only assuming the SCT did it itself. I can also list other possible suspect programs too.

Cheers, innerpeace

7. assafe

assafe Registered Member

i cant find the "service control panel" or should i say i cant find the "startup option in the service control panel even tought i sign in as an administrator

can you please help or give more details

8. gwelte

gwelte Registered Member

Hello Everyone

I work in a public library and mangage over 100 public access computers. We have been using MS tool kit for over 2 years without any major issues other than it does not have a central Admin control panal so any change need to be done at each local workstation. BIG PAIN IN THE A$$.

Due to conflicts with another application we use for TIME and PRINTING management, we can't use the update feature of the disk protection, so we have to disable the diskprotection on each system in order to do updates.

I am now starting testing of WSS to see if we still have the conflict.

I would LOVE it if M$ would build a management consol for the system, but if they do they will most likely start charging for the program.

Anyone else using either the Tool kit or Steady State in a library or internet cafe setting with over 50 systems?

9. gwelte

gwelte Registered Member

I should have added. Both Steady State and MS tool kit are targeted for Public Access Computer locations like Public libraries, Schools and Internet cafes. It is also assumed that the staff supporting the system are NOT advanced system administrators. The program is meant as a free and simple to use program for securing public access system. System speed was not a requirement during the design process.

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Microsoft set up a forum for SteadyState here.

11. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Why not for only one computer?
    Hugger

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I took a serious look at it. Mainly for the idea of shadowing all my disk drives. Not sure I'd classify it as easy to use, and what was a real turn off was by the time I was done, my system was competely reconfigured. I don't know for sure whether it was the old "me or thee" but, I wasn't comfortable leaving it on, so I restored an image.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.