Windows startup files

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by La Mujer, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. La Mujer

La Mujer Registered Member

I am a new user and installed Acronis TI today. During installation I found that 3 files were added to run when Windows starts, trueimagemonitor.exe, timountermonitor.exe, and schedhlp.exe. I will only be creating disk images manually, and I'm wondering if I can safely refuse to allow these 3 processes to run on startup.
    Thank you for any help!

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

3. La Mujer

La Mujer Registered Member

Thanks for the prompt reply! Since the thread suggests that system background usage is minimal, I guess I'll just leave everything as—perhaps this situation is another in which the "if it ain't broke . . ." words of wisdom apply.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Very wise. :)

I don't think these slow any of my systems down, and a couple have rather minimal memory and CPU speed where you'd expect to see a degradation in performance if they were hogs.

5. OzRon

OzRon Registered Member

It's actually three startup programs plus two automatically-starting services (the second introduced with TI 11) for a total of five.

While it was still 3+1 (before "Try and Decide"), I read many different opinions and just as many contradictions. In the end I decided to let the four run everytime I booted Windows, but not because the supporters of this convinced me that I should or that it used minimal resources. My reasons were the frustrating lack of clarity, even in Acronis' attempts at explanations, and my wanting to be sure if I encountered a serious TI problem that Acronis would not blame it on my fiddling with the startups. So even though TI is used in only a small fraction of my Windows sessions, I let all those sessions start up 4 programs/services that were usually not used.

But now there's 5. I think that at present TI comes second only to Windows in the number of startups that it creates on my machines. Since I don't use scheduling, I've thought about replacing the standard TI shortcut target with a command file that first fires up the presumed prerequisites - so that they're launched only when I need them. But as with many other great plans, it's still on the pending list. (And it would make for extra fiddling every time a new build comes along.)

So without wanting to rechurn old discussions and arguments, I'm still left with two questions:

1) We are told that TI needs its "scheduler" even for manually-started operations. But unless we are going to actually use the new "Try and Decide" feature (which surely wouldn't be used every day), do we also need the new TryAndDecide Service to start with Windows each time?

2) In fact, is there any reason why both services can't have their startup mode set to "Manual" instead of "Automatic"?

6. OzRon

OzRon Registered Member

This might be relevant or of interest.

Startups.jpg

7. Phenny

Phenny Registered Member

Services are on manual, they will start on demand.
    Startup items are kicked.

Never had a problem emerge from this configuration.
    I use TI only manually, no scheduling.

Imo it's always shameful for a software to install autostarting items if not absolutely necessary..it's outrageous to install five startup processes at once.
    In TI's case that should be a single service for schedules which should be only enganged in startup mode if anything is actually scheduled.

It doesn't matter if it takes up much resources, the clutter in the managing of running processes is nuisance enough for it to be a no-no.

8. OzRon

OzRon Registered Member

Thanks Phenny.

I can't help wondering why Acronis doesn't set those services to be Manual starts, instead of Automatic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.