Windows seven

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by cet, Oct 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

I have been a Linux user for nearly a year so I did not read anything about Windows Seven up to now(I know windows vista).Unfortunately my ex is going to send a laptop to my daughter which has windows 7 on it.Is there any site to get started for this new operating system and how to secure it?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Win7 is not that different from Vista (except better). Usual secure rule applies; keep the machine updated via WU, use and regularly update whatever AV you chose for it.

Generic Win7 usage etc
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help

3. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder Registered Member

Ah, I personally love Windows 7. I think my setup (in my signature) is quite good at securing it.

4. cozumel

cozumel Registered Member

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I used XP for 6 years and then bought a computer with WIN7. I set the computer up, moved my stuff from the old computer, installed a printer, scanner, and external HD, then made adjustments to the display etc. without having to look at a WIN7 book. I then bought a WIN7 how to book, and discovered I already know most of the every day stuff. Win7 is very easy to figure out if you have used XP or Vista. :)

6. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

If you're used to Linux you'll probably be disappointed with the security haha but just set her up with adblocking and a secure browser. I personally recommend Chrome because it autoupdates and most people just aren't willing to.

If you can get your hands on it maybe try to set taskschedulers to update programs. Definitely set Windows Update to install automatically.

Throw Panda Cloud or MSE on there.

7. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

http://www.howtogeek.com/tag/windows-7/#privacy-and-security

I actually really like Win 7 now. I skipped Vista and thought I'd be with XP FOREVER - just out of sheer bloody-mindedness. But Win 7 is just as reliable as XP was to me.

UAC - somewhat annoying, but worth having on, at the least, at application level notification

Win 7's imaging back up - It works. I have done several image recovery tests and it hasn't gone wrong. It's kinda sluggish, and a hefty file size, but works.

Make a Win 7 Repair Disc - A must. I recently added a new SSD drive with an OS already loaded on it ... the repair disc was able to detect/add the new drive and OS to the boot order. Happy Days

8. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Win 7 64 bit is very good in my experience. If you're familiar with Vista you'll be OK with Seven as it is very similar. Personally I'd recommend MSE as an AV.

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Since you know Windows Vista, 7 will be a piece of cake. It's based on the other.

10. cet

cet Registered Member

Thanks for all the answers.So far I like Windows 7.It is 64 bit.But I prefer Ubuntu.After using it for some time I think I will dual boot it with Ubuntu,my daughter said that Ubuntu start-up and shut-down times are better than windows Seven.

11. cozumel

cozumel Registered Member

I dual boot and both take about the same time. Depends what services you load... ;)

12. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

just good internet security suite is more than enough the main security of OS is on user hands if he go on safe sites not....... undergrounds.......xxx.........paranoid its more then enough

to clean windows all you need is ccleaner a very good too to keep your tmp browser cache ............etc clean

there also a instesting tool called secunia which tell you which software are not update and have vulnerabilities

http://secunia.com/

keep your system uptodate including flash .....etc programs that all you need.

also back up your windows data time to time on external by scanning it from antivirus

also if you want to be carefull of what you install and use addons like noscript wot adblockplus on your browser addons which increase your security.

13. COMPYPY

COMPYPY Registered Member

I think the best OS in the market till date (dont know about :cool:
    one can use linux if he/she want free but if you can pay/or use pirate its definitely Windows 7.
    Easy to use

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.